What are the best brake pads?

geofff

Agreed - hence drilled discs do not lose braking effect

Hi Stu999, I bow down in awe of your greater knowledge  ;)  

Just throwing out opinions to get a bit of conversation going.

I've never personally used drilled disks, my current set-up works well but I'm running 1155 compound 'not for road use'  :laugh: .                            

Only had to learn the once that brake fade is not much fun, it hasn't happened since!

Hi Stu999, I bow down in awe of your greater knowledge  ;)  

Just throwing out opinions to get a bit of conversation going.

I've never personally used drilled disks, my current set-up works well but I'm running 1155 compound 'not for road use'  :laugh: .                            

Only had to learn the once that brake fade is not much fun, it hasn't happened since!

Yup, brake fade ain't much fun. And isn't it amazing how they work just fine at the corner before... :0  :suspect:  :blush:  :D

I'm still working on building up a trust again with my brakes, after 'supposed' upgrades left me with a system that was prone to fade, whereas my old system did not. And the 'fade' incidents were three years ago now :0

• 4 years later...

Hi Guys, after a lot of digging and looking at my brake caliper and pad set up I know what they are now!!

They take a Austin Mini Turbo Pad - (which fits alot of other cars)

I have a few options for brake pads, I'd prefer one for Track Days that won't fade. options are:-

• Mintex 1144/1155
  • EBC Red or Yellow
  • Ferodo 3000

Which would you go for?

I would personally recommend Ferodo DS2500 as a fantastic all-rounder. DS3000, are an awesome brake pad, but if you intend to use your car on the road occasionally too, take some 'waking up' to get them to perform well...

Thanks Stu, but for some reason can't get the 2500 in correct size/fitment?

Ferodo offer DS3000 or 4300.

For road and track I personally can recommend the Mintex 1144 Paul, always stopped me well on both :yes:

They are (I'm 99% sure) a AP Racing Caliper set up from what I've researched, upgrades on Metro Turbo's and stuff back in the day. Use the 'lockheed' caliper fitment like on Austin, Rover and Triumph and aftermarket willwood / brembo's.

The pads they take are Mintex 1144 -Part Ref:  C-8G8994  or EBC Yellowstuff DP4627R. will give you an idea of size/pad area etc.. Ferodo don't list the 2500's in any of the vehicle selectors or pad size guides etc.

Might just go Mintex 1144 as they get good reviews and are priced well at £50

That's a fairly unusual caliper fitment...and highlights the, err, joy of kit cars! The 1144'scare probably the best given the now limited choice you appear to have...

There's a massive thread about this... If not a couple.

After being part of the other threads I decided that EBC Green Stuff were best for myself, fast road use, and that the 1144's would be best for track day orientated ownership. Green Stuff work from cold, but can have issues at higher heats, where as 1144's work really well with some heat in them, but may have issues at low temperatures.

I never got round to fitting the 1144's, but I have never had an issue with Green Stuff. You just need to be careful with the legal side of things, ensure that if you used the car on the road and had an incident where your brakes are checked after the incident... Could your "not for road use" pads end up making you liable for an incident (in the eyes of insurance and solicitors).

Always found 1144's to work excellently from cold. No different to a standard pad in fact from that point of view. They are an excellent "fast road" pad, less so a track pad, though for occasional track use, if you're not too hard on the brakes you'll be fine. Only slight downside is that they are prone to squeal. There are things you can do to reduce it though. But I did tend to whip the 1144's out once a year and re-coat the backs with Ceratec grease.

This reminds me... the factory still owes me an answer on the research I did last year!!! Time for another chase... if no response then I'll probably just get it online.

Could your "not for road use" pads end up making you liable for an incident (in the eyes of insurance and solicitors).

Unlikely - but not impossible.  I have a statement from Ferodo that their "not for road" pads are both safe and legal for non-type approved Westies.  CL on the other hand said do not use under any circumstances on the road..  Don't know what Mintex/Pagid think as they couldn't be arsed to respond to my calls/notes.

I replaced the M16 callipers with some 4 pots a few years back.  I found the 1144s that came with the callipers disappointing, so replaced them with EBC Green Stuff last year, as I'd used that in the M16s with good results.  It was no better.  Due to the very limited mileage, I'm wondering if neither sets ever bedded in properly.  The car is used mainly for hillclimbs (it hasn't stopped raining since I built it), and I think the EBCs give a little more confidence, but its still a very heavy pedal.