Dunnel Zetec Advice

McSpreader

Chaps,

After much uhming and aghing I am pertty sold on the idea of getting a new 2.0l block from Dunnell  - with all the bits and pieces also (exhaust, clutch, flywheel, cooling kit, alternator,sump...).  This way I hope to get the 'package' complete/tuned and then can drop into the chassis without too much further fiddle.

However, if anyone has gone down this route also I would greatly appreciate good/bad comments and advice.  If anyone has got a web site with pics then this would be ideal.

Here's hoping....

Simon :D  :D

I bought most of my bits and bobs from Dunnell.  The concensus seems to be expensive, but good stuff.  Paul takes some pride in his work, and you won't get a duffer.  You'll get exactly what's specified!

I bought the clutch, flywheel, cooling kit, alternator, sump and 3D ECU from Paul and am very impressed 4000 miles later. I shall be having the head, cams sorted by Paul once the house extension has been built, and I have gotten the car back from mother-in-laws garage. Mention Derek from Mistley and he will probably add a few quid to your bill. :D

I bought me car secoond hand and it has a 2.0 litre dunnel '165'

I have to say I'm very impressed. It starts first time every time. The 3D ignition system seems to work very well and the car will pull from low revs in 5th gear very smoothly. Dunnel quote the soft cut rev limiter at 7200 rpm but I have to admit I've never revved it above 7000 and generally change up around 6500 rpm unless I'm really going for it. The engine seems really well balanced and I have to admit I cannot detect any harshness at high revs.

Apparently the 3D ignition system improves fuel economy as well but I've never checked.

My car runs twin weber DCOE 45's and I've not had any problems yet. The carbs may well be out of balance by now but as it doesn't give me any problems and there's no popping, or banging at idle or on the over -run I leave it alone.

My advice would be go for it. You won't regret it.

All the Best.

Martin.

I have brought most of my tuning bits from Dunnell and cant recommend them highly enough the may not be the cheapest but must be one of the best. What I liked about them is if they say you will get X horse power you usually get X+. When you ring them give yourself some time, as when you get Paul talking about tuning you could be there for a bit.  :t-up:

Thanks for your comments guys.   :D

I was already convinced that Paul's reputation for a quality product was spot-on, so no need to convince me of that.  I was more interested to hear if people had "bad" comments - such as things to be wary of etc.  But fortunatley, nothing has come to light.

Two areas still bug me a little. (1) does anyone know for sure that the Dunnell exhaust complys with SVA - edges etc, and (2) because I am looking at getting a new engine will it need a cat??  I am unsure if the regs state that a cat must be present - or just the emission limits.  Paul seemed to indicate that he might be able to get the engine through SVA emaission without the cat!?!

Can anyone confirm/contradict this??

Ta

Re Mot the rules state that the CO must be below 0.5% at idle and 0.3% at fast idle or 2800-3200rpm at fast idle the HC must be below 100ppm and the calculated lambda must be 0.98-1.03 that is all if you can get these readings without a cat you are doing better than the manufactures. I am not sure that you will be able to achieve this without a cat. I have seen some cares come close with cat replacement pipes but never quite good enough. I think I am right in saying that the Westfield side exiting exhaust has a cat built in so who is to say that your silencer dose not. You will have to have injection to stand any chance of getting the fueling right but if Paul said he can do it im sure he can.

I can confirm the Dunnell manifold and silencer will pass an SVA no problems. All the edges are nice and rounded. (sounds top as well)

Not sure about emissions but why not have a go, cats are expensive.

good luck

Sound advice.  I am planning to go with injectors - so is there a chance that I can tune to pass SVA??  Even if there is a remote chance I am willing to give it a go - as was rightly pointed out - they aint cheap.

Good to hear that the exhust is SVA OK.  And of course, it only adds to the excitment that it sounds 'fine' also.

Thank you all for your comments.

Simon