Roll Bars

fordy

He was taking a corner quickly, perhaps too quickly as he'd only had the car a few days, when he hit a wet patch in the road and went onto the soft verge and, if memory serves me correctly, ended up digging the car in, hitting a dry stone wall and ending up upside down.

Yes, the age of the bar may have played a small part in its failure, but the main reason it failed is that the car was still travelling forwards during the accident and the rollbar had no rearward bracing to stop it folding flat.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• fordy

• peterg

• Blatman

• Nick M

Top Posters In This Topic

For a roll bar for a Westfield Try Fiber Form tel 01469 535060 near the Humber bridge 30 miles from me so if he wants a car to mesure you can use my car if its a wide body or send the measurements to him he has offered me a cage for my car for £500 inc vat fitted

Paul, what material is this in (i.e. how heavy for a full cage)?

About £180.

Depending on whether you want to get the boot box out without removing the whole roll bar you can specify one which has detachable rear struts (easy to fit and you can remove the boot) or one with welded rear struts.

get one with detachable rear bars - ive just had to remove my non-detachable bar version and it was a git - mainly cos the bolts that hold it to the chassis on the bottom had rusted - i had to cut them off - and theres not much room between these bolts and the fuel tank - caught my knuckles a fair few times!!!

cheers

Chris

Hmmm, so it would have been easier to remove the fuel tank first then  ;)   the bar with welded rear supports is also bl**dy heavy to lift out all in one go if you work on your own  ???

Except you can't remove the fuel tank if the boot box is there.

And you can't remove the boot box without removing the whole roll bar.....

Sort of Catch 22 really ;)

I can remove my boot box, then the tank, then the rollbar (the bootbox has the edges cut and attached separately so just the centre part lifts out) - in fact it's so easy I've got to do it all over again next weekend!

not exactly cheating as the previous owner did it - actually I now don't have a boot box at all as I replaced it with a sheet of carbon (I'm thinking of using it as a planter in the garden!;)

mantra for today: must lose weight, must lose weight, must lose weight, etc. etc.  :D  :D  :cool:

It could have been made soooooo much easier if the person who put the roll bar on (not me i have to add) used Stainless bolts rather than ones that rust!!!!!

If i ever make my own kit, im going to use stainless screws and bolts everywhere.

cheers

Chris

Yep, don't use stainless for any load bearing fixings. That means suspension, steering, and anything that might be considered a "safety" item.........For max strength in these areas, and a resistance to corrosion, use aircraft quality bolts and nuts. Not cheap, but much better made than your common or garden steel items........or buy a big pot of copperslip........