Roll Bars

fordy

I want the angled one that Westfield sell, in chrome - but i dont want to pay the £180 they cost - anyone now where i can get one made and chromed cheaper???

cheers

Chris

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• fordy

• peterg

• Blatman

• Nick M

Top Posters In This Topic

Is £180 really that much to ask for a safe bonce ?

Realistically I don't think you'd be able to get one made for much less, especially when you add in the time of getting the car to the fabricator so they have something to work from.

I'd also check whether getting it chromed is a sound idea from a safety perspective.  I have a feeling that chroming can result in brittle spots or some such problem.  Why not get it painted or powder coated in silver ?

I think Nick is spot on WRT chroming. I have also heard that the chroming process can have a serious effect on the structural integrity of the 'bar. I'm that bothered by it that I have recently stripped all the chrome off of the wishbones on my sprint car and had them powdercoated in a quite nice shade of silver. I'm really quite pleased considering I had wanted a quick 'n cheap job.

Surely Westfield would not sell a chromed roll bar if it was not safe???

Also, is it the chroming process that causes the damage to welds,etc or is it the actual chrome doing something to the metal over time - i.e why would removing the chrome from your wishbones stop them being in danger - surely of the chroming process caused a weakness, this will still be there even when the chrome is removed???

cheers

Chris

Its the acid dip and rinse that damages the steel and dipping it in white hot chrome so the damage has been done removed later or not, so is the wide track and cycle wing on order Blatman. For a roll bar for a Westfield Try Fiber Form tel 01469 535060 near the Humber bridge 30 miles from me so if he wants a car to mesure you can use my car if its a wide body or send the measurements to him he has offered me a cage for my car for £500 inc vat fitted but I have to paint it  he does chassie for locosts and Geineter [spellings wrong] so knows what its all about.

Paul.

In response to your queries – yes chroming can induce brittleness to the welds. This is due to hydride formation in the weld – hydrides being very brittle.

It is along time since I did some serious metallurgy so someone may correct me.

When I built my first westie in ’89 this was a consideration, but would really only cause problems if you had a low temperature impact, which could cause the suspension wishbones to fail. In reality I am sure the wishbones are not effected. Science is a wonderful thing.

I did not go down the chrome route originally, but now have chrome on my second westie and not worried about it.

I will try and dig out my metallurgy books and confirm the situation.

Phil (anorakman)

Westfield only sell the standard roll bar chromed and, by their own admission, this roll bar is not the last word in safety and they make no claims about it's strength in an impact.

The RAC roll bar is, however, made to pass RAC MSA scrutineering.  I believe, but may be wrong, that a chromed rollbar won't pass scrutineering for any form of motorsport due to the issues about it being potentially weaker.

Like I said before, how much do you value your bonce ?  By all means get a cheap, chromed roll bar, but if you're doing it as a safety feature then don't complain (assuming you still can) that if failed when put to the ultimate test.

Sorry to be blunt, but safety is one thing I wouldn't **** about with.  I've seen what happens to a standard roll bar on a Westfield - it folds flat like the hood frame (no doubt someone can point you to the pictures on the se7ens ftp site) - which is precisely why I have an RAC bar on my car. Hopefully I'll never need it, but it's there if I do.

Yup. Those pictures appeared and I vowed to NEVER use a bog standard roll bar ever again..........

I'm pleased to hear that the wishbones should be OK. A cold impact is all they're ever gonna get, and if I'm hitting something at any sort of speed, they wouldn't stand up anyway. If I'm hitting something at low speed, then a little more damage won't do me any harm, only my wallet. Wishbones should be considered a sacrificial part anyway IMO, 'cos I'd rather one of these bent/folded/snapped, than the chassis......

mmmmmmmmm not nice  :(  what happend to the occupants  ??? ps    thats why ive got one of these

Chromed roll bars and stuff seem to be allowed in sprints and hillclimbs ..... but I believe they are not allowed on circuit racing. Neither do they make your car go any faster

I've never had any chrome wishbones or other structural items such as roll bars. Black and coloured powder coating is safe and looks fine  ;)  :p  :)  Chrome headlamp covers though  :D

pays yer money takes yer choice

SteveD - Gordon, the owner / driver of the car in the piccies, was quite badly injured and had extensive arm and facial injuries.

Fortunately he's made a nigh on perfect recovery - apparently he's still not quite got 100% use of one of his arms but the skin grafts worked fine and, by all accounts, he considers himself to be a very lucky chap.  He even expressed an interest in getting another se7en at one point !

I have an RAC bar as a direct result of those pictures.

pleased to here he is alive and ok ,he better buy mine with a propa cage ???

I have an RAC bar as a direct result of those pictures.

Me too. First thing I did when I bought the car was fit the RAC.

Could the age of the car have had anything to do with how easily it folded?  I'm guessing it isn't that new by the rust around the roll bar.  Or were these photos taken some time after the crash, and the rust has appeared since?

How did he roll it anyway?