Westfield MegaOne

hogman

Hello Fellow Westies!

Am in the process of converting my 1990 SE std body Westie from a 1700 Xflow to a Yamaha R1 bike engine, has anyone else done this yet or am I the first???? And will this be the first "MegaOne" in the country????? :D

Has anyone any experience of using the "Wind back" system (starter motor running in reverse) for the reverse gear or is EVERYONE still using the mechanical version??

Would love to hear from you all!!

Cheers

:p

I have no direct experience of using the R1 engine myself but have heard second hand that the gearbox is much weaker than say the Hayabusa box.  Might be worth checking.  

David

I was under the impression that the factory had tried this and found the gearboxes to be fragile. Surely more people would have done this if not, as the R1 engine is powerful, readily and cheaply available.

Could well be wrong though.

I know of a couple of people with road going cars with the R1 engine in it. And another at least one currently building.. These are Sylvas....

I think the R1 is a great engine, it is much more compact than the Hondas and so easier to get nice propshaft angles.

Also, it has 150-160bhp and weighs only 60kgs. (The busa and blackbird engines weigh 80kgs+)

I've got the electric reverse on my blade. Works well.

Cheers,

Al

to late mate there was a westy with an R1 in it at harewood on sunday :p  try a ducati engine aint seen one of them yet dont really know if the ducati engine would work but hay you could allways be the guiny pig :arse:

And the R1 was at Ska moddan in the speed series  ;)

hu hum i will think you will find it is scamoden mr spam :p

Nope it used to be called Scammonden - but the southern Bros renamed it ska-moddan  ;)  :D  :)

The one at Harewood looked quite high at the front. Dont know whether the front springs etc had been changed from the original setup. Looked a nice car though and certainly sounded/ went well.

Stuart

Good to h ear other people have done this already!

Havent heard anything about the gearbox being weak before, although have heard the clutch is weak (I have replaced mine - £600!!!!!;) so am now hoping all is well with the rest!

I know the R1 engines are fitted into grass tracking and rally cars ok so the gearbox cant be that bad!

I will try to find out more on the gearboxes and will post back with any news!

Thanks to everyone who posted here and would love to hear from the person with the R1 Westie out there!

give paul at plays kool a bell i think he knows him or sumfin  ???  like that

Have a look on here

John

mr loudon have you nuffin better to do than look at bike engines i have just the engine for you give me a bell :arse:

Now then again!

Found out alittle more info, apparantly the R1 has a problem with the clutch which I mentioned before  :D  but the gearbox is fine and not fragile at all, although most bike engined gearboxes are classed as "Fragile" compared to a cars (not convinced personally)   :arse:   oh oh have i started a new war on the BEC vs CEC hahaha

Hope this helps!