Gearboxes

Westfieldman

The ratios on a good spec type 9 from BGH, SPC etc are massively better than the MT75, Mazda box etc. To be honest, I seriously miss my old Quaife Pro Type 9 gear ratios, and gear shift quality when I drive the Honda six speed gear box on the S2000 Westfield.

The thing is, the proper Type 9 upgrade boxes are effectively re-engineered boxes that happen to share the same casework* shafts, and a few other core components, but in other ways, are completely re-engineered boxes, with modified lubrication, new gear sets, etc.

*and of course, if you go for an aluminium main case, then even the type 9’s old cast iron job, is defunct.

I like many, many, many Westfield owners before and after me, still maintain, the single best/biggest upgrade to Westfield performance and drivability, was swapping to a Type 9 with proper ratios, matched to a lightweight car like a Westfield.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, MR.C said:

Chris , in what way would you say it was better?

Apart from of course being able to take more Power safely.

Can you change from first to second swiftly if giving it the beans so to speak?

Yes you can.

On my BGH box gear changes are much better that my previous “straight out of an 80’s Sierra” type 9. 

Basically, it can easily take the power, it will change better and it allows me to accelerate in first rather than change gear after a mere microsecond..

It’s quite simply one of the best upgrades I have made (and if you ask those that know, I have made quite a few!)

The other upgrade I really like is 13” wheels. Tough call as to which I’d put as the top upgrade, but the gearbox is certainly up there and something I would never regret paying the extra for. 

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, Dave Eastwood (Gadgetman) - Club Secretary said:

The ratios on a good spec type 9 from BGH, SPC etc are massively better than the MT75, Mazda box etc.

Not as different as you might think dave.

A long 1st type 9 Is around a 2.98 ratio in 1st. A mazda mx5 5 speed box has a 3.13. The rest are closer still. Granted I know the extra long 1sts are available.

With fresh correct oil Id say the mx5 5 speed box is one of the best changing manual boxes around.

And at around 10% of the price of a good type 9,  abundance of availability and capability to take much more power than even an uprated type 9 makes them a fantastic choice for a westfield.

Also options now exist to mate to a zetec and bolt directly to a duratec/2.0 ecoboost.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Steve (sdh2903) said:

long 1st type 9 Is around a 2.98 ratio in 1st.

That’s the “basic” long first. Other ratios are available that make it a better proposition 😁

mine is longer (ooer Missus) 

1 hour ago, Steve (sdh2903) said:

long 1st type 9 Is around a 2.98 ratio in 1st.

that’s nothing like mine, I’m afraid.

it was a 2.39, it’s a massive difference on the road, when paired with the right diff etc.

the SPC ones I mentioned are an even bigger difference, 2.482 or 2.29

Granted, the BGH are a little bit closer, 2.66 and 2.75 are popular, but I believe there is a 2.98 in the range? Which would be closer to what you’re talking about.

21 hours ago, JohnCh said:

They take the rear portion of a sacrificial Type-9 case, attach the shift rod sections with a coupler and roll pins, then attach the two cases with a thick U-shaped aluminium bracket (~6mm thick).  Here are photos taken before installing mine back in 2007.

1466478_orig.jpg

2001250_orig.jpg

-John

That's clever and looks much better than a heavily cranked lever!

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Ian Kinder (Bagpuss) - Joint Peak District AO said:

That's clever and looks much better than a heavily cranked lever!

Thats what i've got :d

• 1 year later...

Anyone want to upgrade to a BGH box then look here at available ratios and performance mods http://www.bghgeartech.co.uk/html/5_speed.html

Often overlooked is renewing your saddle bush to a bronze version and using correct oil for a slicker change, BGH recommend Comma 75/90 GL4.

Graham Miller upgraded my type 9 and it was just wonderful. My MX-5 has a 5 speed box and has no difficulty with 270bhp courtesy of Rocketeer. It's a bit notchy but feels fine. Replacement will be £50 - £100. How do your compare @SootySport ??

• 7 months later...

Another question. I'm sur I had a gearbox calculator in which I entered my tyre details, final drive, gearbox ratios and max revs which gave me the max speed in each gear.

I can't find a link on here or on the internet. Any ideas please to point me in the right direction. TIA.

• 4 months later...
  • 4 months later...
On 05/11/2022 at 21:48, Andrzej said:

@Rory's Dad  Probably You have already found, but if someone else is looking for such calculator, I found this ok  :

https://apx6u.app.goo.gl/eRco

Excellent little calculator that is! I need to change my type 9 ratios, 0 to 60 just isn't fun. Using that calculator and assuming my ratios are standard, I can just about hit 62mph in 2nd at 7000 revs. 1st and 2nd are just too short think. However, whether on track or road I don't use 1st much and I'd say I'm in 3rd upwards 95% of the time and the car is super quick in those gears so is it even worth the trouble and cost? 

• 9 months later...

Could anyone advise me on the best way to access the gearbox remote mechanism on an MT 75 gearbox?

The gear change is rather woolly.

Thanks in advance.

On 29/01/2024 at 21:15, Ranald Macfadyen said:

Could anyone advise me on the best way to access the gearbox remote mechanism on an MT 75 gearbox?

The gear change is rather woolly.

Thanks in advance.

That should be possible to do by removing the tunnel top panel.