Gearboxes

Westfieldman

Gearboxes

This comes up from time to time

Narrow tunnel

Wide tunnel

Diffence with wide/narrow cars if any

Gearboxes available that fit/work in a Westfield

Ford type 9 from a Sierra also fitted to Capri, XR4i Oil Capacity 1.9 Litres Oil Grade (Standard) : 75W90

Gear kits are avalable as are straight cut gears

Quaife do sequetial versions of the Type 9

Ford MT75 from a Sierra 92 model year onwards. Granada about the same time. There is also a 4X4 version which would be NBG. Integral bellhousing. Oil capacity :1.2 litres   Oil grade (Standard): ATF

Gearkits may be avaliable but too expensive

Ford / Borg Warner T5 :- Fitted to Sierra/Saphire Cosworth 2wd   Oil capacity : 2.55 litres  Oil Grade (Standard) : ATF

Elite gearboxes

From Elite [can i put a link to Elite here]

5/6 speed sequential straight cut dog boxes

Type E : 4 speed. Fitted to Cortina Mk 3/4/5 , RS2000 Mk 1/2, Mexico Mk2, Capri , Sierra (early models) Oil Capacity 1.5 litres Oil Grade (Standard) : SAE80

Input shaft on all of the above gearboxes is 1" x 23 splines, Also some have longer input shafts [others to help with these details please]

Can others post the missing details and i will update this to keep the thread as I belive a FAQ thread should be a question and thecorrect asposiabl answer

MT75 - Sierra 92 model year onwards. Granada about the same time. There is also a 4X4 version which would be NBG. Integral bellhousing. Oil capacity :1.2 litres   Oil grade (Standard): ATF

Borg Warner T5 :- Fitted to Sierra/Saphire Cosworth 2wd   Oil capacity : 2.55 litres                              Oil Grade (Standard) : ATF

Type 9 also fitted to Capri, XR4i Oil Capacity 1.9 Litres Oil Grade (Standard) : 75W90

Type E : 4 speed. Fitted to Cortina Mk 3/4/5 , RS2000 Mk 1/2, Mexico Mk2, Capri , Sierra (early models) Oil Capacity 1.5 litres Oil Grade (Standard) : SAE80

Input shaft on all of the above gearboxes is 1" x 23 splines

• 7 years later...

Hello,

I currently have a type E connected to a zetec block. I want to upgrade to a 5sp type 9. Are the bellhouses the same?! will the engine need to move? Will a new shorter/longer prop shaft be needed?

Many thanks!!!

Hello,

I currently have a type E connected to a zetec block. I want to upgrade to a 5sp type 9. Are the bellhouses the same?! will the engine need to move? Will a new shorter/longer prop shaft be needed?

Many thanks!!!

Yes, as long as you have a type e and not a type 3. Th type 9 is actually a modified type e with an extra gear cluster on the back,

Thanks for the reply. I believe it is a type e - it has the tran-x "rocket" gearkit fitted. Does this confirm it is an E or could this kit fit in a 3?

So a type 9 should be a straight swap for a type E! How do I check the short/long input shaft variation - does anyone have dimensions?

Thanks

From SBD site looks like the v6 used the longer input shaft, longer appears 20mm longer.

http://www.sbdev.co.uk/Gearbox/Bellhouses/Bellhouses.htm

If you currently have a rocket box, I hope you are not going to a standard type9, the first couple of ratios are not suited to a light weight kit car compared with what you have

• Like 1

• 4 years later...

Hi 

I have a narrow body SEI fitted with a Zetec 2.0 and a 5 speed type 9 gearbox

The position of the stick on the type 9 is ridiculous, and my plan for the car is for it to be a "comfortable"  (yet fun) tourer, so would ideally like to put the 6 speed RX8 gearbox it it - will this fit into a narrow without modifying the trans tunnel or chassis?

I had a MK3 MX-5 a few years ago, and this had the best gear change I've experienced on a car, assume the RX8 box is very similar

Are there any other boxes that would fit a narrow? I have a 4 speed box too, but that's not going to be any good for touring

Thanks

The RX-8 box will be too big for a narrow - in fact I believe it's even difficult in a wide!

The 5-speed Mazda boxes certainly fit a wide, but again, very much doubt the narrow would take it.

Most use a gearbox extension to get the lever back a bit.

Unfortunately the narrow chassis was designed for the very slim and compact Ford four speed gearboxes of the 1970’s/80’s. We just about get away with the 5 Speed Type 9 because Ford shoe horned a fifth gear into one of the existing four speed boxes by adding a spacer and making it a bit longer.

On the widebody cars, Westfield had to re-design and widen the tunnel just to fit Fords late 80’s/90’s MT75 ‘box. The RX8 box seems to be somewhat bigger still.

I’m not sure if anyone has successfully fitted one in a wide body chassis yet, I know of at least two failed attempts that gave up and reverted to things like the MX5 gearbox.

Its a kit car, so there’s no such thing as impossible, given some skill with a welder and a grinder.but what I would say, is that if you managed to make it fit, you’d have widened the tunnel massively in comparison to driver and passenger footwells and probably wiped out most of the second hand value of the car, given how few people could now fit in ;)

1 hour ago, darve said:

@Mark (smokey mow) think Mark had to modify a narrow chassis to fit in a mk1 mx5 box 

Thats correct.  The Mk1 - M2.5 MX5 gearbox wont fit in a narrow without some considerable widening of both the entrance to the transmission tunnel in the engine bay and also the section of tunnel between the seats.

Thanks all

I've just found a gearbox extension in the box of parts that came with the car - so looks like this will be the solution that I needed :)

Pity to hear that options for other boxes on the narrow are so limited though

• 10 months later...

hi

I have an issue with type 9 gearbox , , 2,0 zetec motor , I'm told the box needs refurbd as its jumping out of 5th gear , I'm based on south coast , any bright ideas on how I can get the job done by a garage locally that may have the relevant expertise , hoping someone has a bright idea !!!

thanks in advance

• 1 year later...

Just bringing this thread back to life again.

This winter I'm toying with a gearbox change,either MT75

or Mazda item. Engine is a 2.0l zetec. I can get an idea from the Ecoboost

conversion on here what's involved.Has anyone done the swap lately or any

thoughts on the above.

Thanks Andy.

Mazda won’t fit without a conversion plate. 

What’s the reason behind it? If it’s gearing (ie 1st is too short) then the MT75 is possibly worse.