"Stick on" front number plates

scott beeland

In a word, No! Unless, of course, it is in addition to a 'proper' plate fitted in the 'approved' manner.

There are no officially approved stick on plates. All that being as it may, there seem to be no instances that I've read of anyone being pulled for having one. I certainly haven't been. Actually very few seem to have been stopped for having no plate at all on the front.

They are harder to obtain now, though. But I'm sure someone knows a source of 'show-only' plates. :)

Edited to correct my dangler-up - thanks Andy!  :durr:

I've had no problems - see avatar. I even ran it for a couple of months without a number plate on the front when my "proper one fell off. I went past loads of cop cars coming the other way, never caused me any problems.

Had the stick on one for about 5 months no probs so far :D  :D

John.

Disclaimer- if you do get done for a stick on plate don't blame me ;)  :D  :D

In a word, No! Unless, of course, it is in addition to a 'proper'

They are harder to obtain now, though. But I'm sure someone knows a source of 'show-only' plates. :)

Not the only suppliers but widely used:

Fancy plates

• 2 years later...
Is it legal to use a stick on number plate on the front of my Westfield?

Factory built FW body ones come with stick-on plates as standard. Factory says they are legal if they are full size plates and readable with the headlights on, i.e. not obscured due to glare from the headlamps.

To be legal the number plate has to be vertical or nearly so, and on a flat surface. There are some very detailed rules about the size and spacing of the letters and numbers. The problem is not so much stick on numbers therefor, but the fact that you presumably want to put them on the top of the nose cone. That of course is neither flat nor anywhere near vertical. Like others have said however, as long as it is clearly readable and has the correct background (ie black on white) you probably wont be pulled up for it.

Defo illegal.

Your local vinyl sign company will have the software to produce one on a non-reflective white background, and will be able to scale as required. I use 75% full size.

A certain Gooders hasn't had a plate on the front for a little while and neither have i since my new nose cone.  :devil:

I ran for twelve months with a stick on plate that I brought from local car parts place. IE sticky plate plus stick on letters.

Given the two options I think a sticky one is better than none at all.  :devil:

Old thread ressurected this isn't it?  :p

Still IMHO I would go with no plate rather than stick on one.

With stick on you are breaking the law as it is not legal.

With no plate on if you get stopped, "OMG thank you officer it must have fallen off I'll fit one immediately and more securly this time. Thank you so much for bringing this to my attention."  :D  ;)

• 2 weeks later...

Mine just passed MOT but he did comment the plate was illegal due to the size of the characters, not that they are stick on- or near horizontal. I understand stations are not currently failing cars on plates cos of some legal dangler up. I can't find any indication that stick on is not ok, or that they have to be vertical or near vertical.

My excuse - had one under the nosecone but speed bumps kept damaging it officer, cant block the air intake , where else can it go!

• 3 weeks later...

I was pulled in by the law for a plate that was too small - it was smaller than standard bike lettering.

They said that I had gone through a number plate reconition camera and it was unable to read the plate - it was made on non standard poor reflective material and the letters were unreadable.  they we concerned as they could not check my mot, tax or insurance or owners details - and were worried for me in case it was nicked!

Anyway I asked about the stick on ones then and was told very plainly that these would also be illegal for the same reasons.  They suggested (although not strictly saying it was legal to get a bike plate made up for the front as these were smaller but readable) - in law the car should have a standard car size plate mounted vertical - but these have regularly come off when trying or not to negotiate road kill, pheasants mainly.  I've got a bike size plate, in standard reflective material now and have not had any problems.

They were ok about it.