How do I get proof of engine age for SVA

Tigger

How do I prove the age of my engine for the SVA purposes.

My engine is pre '95 so I presume it won't need a "CAT"

I'll start this one off with Vauxhall Engines:

You will have to write to a guy Jonathon Bell Address as below:

Jonathon Bell (D3)

Vauxhall Motors Ltd

Griffin House

Osborne Road

Luton

LU1 3YT

Phone number - 01582 427288

This will cost £60.00 for a search and they will supply you with a letter to take to the SVA with you. If you have the reg of the car, the search will come back quicker.

Tigger

Rover V8:

"Traceability Department" at LandRover.

LandRover deny all knowledge to start with and try to put you onto the Heritage Centre which is OK for 70's vintage but not RangeRover engines.  Just make sure you find someone who's heard of the department then ask for details.

If I remember I'll fish out my letter which may have contact details on it.

Mike

Ford Technical Information Centre

PO Box 300

Walsall

WS5 4QH

Tel (charged at £1.00 per min) 0906 5533447

Just end them a letter stating engine no, I got confirmation letter back in a couple of days and didn't cost more than the price of a stamp.

In the Burton Power catalogue there is a page with a chart called 'Ford Manufacture Date Chart' which tells you which year the letters on your engine block correspond to. The SVA station will actually have this chart, but will only accept the date of manufacture if you bring a copy along with you.:d

• 5 years later...

Latest contact details for Vauxhall, courtesy of Rolsty:

The cost is currently £100, allow two weeks if paying by cheque, or use a Postal Order for faster results. Payable to General Motors UK Ltd

J Bell (UK1-103-310)

General Motors UK Ltd

Osborne road

Luton

LU1 3YT

Mazda Engines:

Call Mazda UK on 08457 484848 and ask to speek to the Homologations Manager.

Give him the engine number and then he'll take down a few personal details and ask you to write in with a cheque for £35 (prices correct in 2008)

Send the payment to:

Mazda Motors UK Limited

Anchor Boulevard

Dartford

Kent

DA2 6QH

Then a couple of weeks later you'll get a letter back confirming the engine number and it's manufacture date.  If the donor was an import (Eunos/Miata etc) there may be a slightly longer delay as they need to contact Japan to get the necessary details for the car.

• 1 year later...

Hi to follow up with ford which Andrew said. I didn't have an engine number but could prove it was a x-flow. I just used the Burton power catalogue to prove the dates when those engines were made and the IVA station was very happy.

I wrote to Ford but again no engine number was no help.

Paul

• 2 years later...

Update for Ford.

The above address is no longer valid, I got my letter back saying they no longer have a Ford Tech Dept!

However I phoned 0906 5533 447 (charged at £1per min) and got this correct address:

Ford Technical Information Center,

PO BOX 12060

Colchester,

Essex.

CO1 9PF

Just send them a letter!

How about a Mk III MG Midget engine?! I've got a V5 which quotes an engine number which tallies with my engine. Will that do?

V5's with the engine number on are usually the ideal proof of age, it's just that those of us only buying the engine or engine and gearbox from a car don't usually end up with that bit. If you have it though, perfect!

Mazda Engines:

Call Mazda UK on 08457 484848 and ask to speek to the Homologations Manager.

Give him the engine number and then he'll take down a few personal details and ask you to write in with a cheque for £35 (prices correct in 2008)

Send the payment to:

Mazda Motors UK Limited

Anchor Boulevard

Dartford

Kent

DA2 6QH

Then a couple of weeks later you'll get a letter back confirming the engine number and it's manufacture date. If the donor was an import (Eunos/Miata etc) there may be a slightly longer delay as they need to contact Japan to get the necessary details for the car.

Mazda one was only £30 for me but to date they've managed to send me 2 letters neither containing the engine number. Paid them nearly a year ago.

If I eventually manage to find the one person in the organisation who can figure this out I'll update this thread.

I paid Suzuki around £90 for proof of age for a Hayabusa engine, but because I only had the engine number they were unable to assist and therefore refunded me. I used the engine number on the engine to show it was a 2006 block and thankfully the IVA inspector was happy enough with that and I was able to register the car as new.