Fuel pump cut off switch

stubbow

Assuming it is electric ( :D  ), the first task is to disconnect the Negative terminal of the battery.

Cut into the positive feed cable to the pump and install a male spade connector on one side of the cut and a female spade connector on the other, both with insulating shrouds.

Install a suitable single pole single throw (SPST) switch (an 'aircraft style' type is ideal as it is easy to 'hit' off in an emergency) on the fascia somewhere convenient and route two wires from the rear of the switch through to where you have cut the fuel pump fed. For visual continuity, I would recommend that you use matching colour wire for this. Fit a female spade connector to one wire and a male to the other, both with insulating shrouds. Connect the new pair of wires to the new terminals where you made the cut.

Reconnect the negative terminal of the battery.

If in doubt, ask more questions!

And what about an inertia type cut off switch?

I was assuming that the car would already have one of those installed - is this not a standard Westfield feature? It was on mine ....

Neither of mine have them, and it would be a useful safety feature for those who want to retro fit one. IMHO of course...
  • Like 1

No problem at all to fit both - I have both fitted. The installation is basically as I have outlined above but just add the inertia switch in SERIES with the hand operated cut-off switch. If you can mount the inertia switch adequately near the point where you cut into the fuel pump feed then the installation will be very simple indeed.

You don't *need* to fit either if you don't want to. BUT I don't know for sure if an inertia switch is an SVA requirement.

It's simply a question of in the event of an accident, whether you want the fuel pump to switch itself off (inertia type switch) or you'd like to retain control of the fuel feed so that in the event of an accident, you throw the switch yourself.

• 8 years later...
  • 6 months later...

A couple of points with inertia switches.

• Mount it where you can get to it easily if it needs resetting.
  • The Land Rover type has a change-over contact, this can be wired to a warning lamp on the dash. This gives you a float bowl of fuel to pull into a safe place before you stop.

A manual switch mounted on the dash is ok as a theft preventer but not much use if you've had an accident and are unconscious or disorientated..