what  bhp can I expect from the various engines

JeffC

Mark 1 / 2 (Silver top) 2.0 Zetec:

Unmodified engine on Ford injection system approx 130 BHP

Unmodified engine on twin DCOEs or throttle bodies around 165 BHP

Ported head and fast road cams, unmodified bottom end 190BHP on carbs, 200BHP on TBs.

disagree that tb's will make more than carbs

It's certainly a gross simplification to say that TBs make more than carbs full stop so in part I agree. I was trying to reflect the packages that most tuning companies generally supply. In my experience most carbed Zetecs end up fitted with pretty small chokes to improve the flexibility so you will probably get more power from TBs under those conditions. If you go for bigger chokes you can approach the same power as TBs but at the expense of flexibility.

1600 xflow, bcf2 cam, ported head, twin 40's:

100bhp at the wheels - don't know what this is a the flywheel but I would guess at about 125bhp ish.

Toyota 4AGE 1600 16v series 3 Small Port:

130 with standard injection,

135-140 with Throttles or twin carbs,

160-165 with uprated cams,

upto 250 with headwork, pistons etc.

and they weigh less than a x-flow :D

"Ultimate" 4AGE is probably the TRD prepared Formula Atlantic engine which makes 240bhp and is available in the US for about $15k. But the power is all above 8000 revs and (reputedly) it can't be made to tick over very well.

Toyota claim 160ps from the 'Silver top' 20v engine and 165ps from the (rare) 'Black top'. Both figures are generally believed to be optimistic, but they are very torquey little engines and represent quite cheap power, as they come with TBs as standard for £500-£600. There is, however, very little in the way of tuning goodies available in the UK   --  so the 20v engine is currently a bit of a cul-de-sac. (May change!;)

Speaking from experience, the most usable power you are likely to get out of a phase 3 16v unit (without forced induction and/or spending really silly money) is about 190bhp.

• 1 year later...
My Briggs & stratton, not sure of the cc's but makes 8 BHP, bit more with probably with optimax in it, guess around 5 Bhp at the wheels , dont ask for o-60 to times or top speed because i've nevr pushed it passed 4MPH. cuts the grass as well so do i win.

Ported head and fast road cams, unmodified bottom end 190BHP on carbs, 200BHP on TBs.

disagree that tb's will make more than carbs

i agree with Mike

my zetec on twin 45's makes over 220bhp

TB's would drive slightly better at very low speeds

but would make no more power IMO