What is the MOT Emissions test for a Westfield?

perksy

Q plate cars have to pass a "visible smoke only" test. The MOT man will look at your exhaust with the car running at tickover and at normal operating temperature. If there is no smoke visible, it passes.

Actually:

Chatting to my MOT man on Firday if you go by the letter of the book, engines after a certain date (believe it is around 1992?) have to meet the levels of 3.5% CO and 1200 HC, which should be easily acheivable for an engine on carbs.

Note this age is related to the engine and not the car!!  I`m not confusing this with SVA requirements, it is actually covered in the MOT book.

Older engines are subjected to smoke test only.

Not according to this page.

Vehicles having a Q plate registration when presented for MOT are to be treated as follows: For emission purposes only, all these types are to be considered as vehicles first used before 1st August 1975.

May or may not be relevant, but that manual's 18 months old; may be out of date?

I had my Q plate Pinto engined (on Dellortos) car tested in December. Passed okay. :t-up:

So can I clarify something.

I have a factory built Westfield 1800 zetec, which DOES NOT have a CO rating on the V5. It was first registered on 15/5/97.  It is on a 'P' plate, not a Q.

Will this be a visible smoke test only or will it be subject to an emissions check?

Thanks

As the car is a 'kit car' then as long as it was registered before 1 Aug 1998 then it's visable smoke only.

Mines a '96 on an N plate but the V5 states 'Kit - Made from new parts' so I'm still OK with visable smoke only, even though it had a Cat when new.

edit Note : Just checked actual V5 for exact statement and amended post.