Bulk Buy - VX Exhaust manifold + Silencer if reqd

Paul Ash

I know the primary length is important (or so I've been told) but if you chopped a bit off the secondaries, would that make much difference to the tuned length etc?

Tigger

Yes, in theory at least; however, opinions vary on some of the lengths being quite right anyway, so might not be that  much of an issue anyway.

[/sit on fence]  :D

• Replies 213
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Paul Ash

• pete g

• scott beeland

• Dave Eastwood (Gadgetman) - Club Chairman

poped in to Hayward & Scott today

they said you had been in touch paul.

kept up the good work

:t-up:

Just to add to the mix.

Been given an opinion today that says

1 3/4" primaries @28-30" long

2" secondaries

and 2 1/2 into/through silencer will give better torque for a road/occasional track car

This is versus the common dia's from SBD etc which  the obove opinion suggests are better suited to Top end grunt

Your thoughts?

can you confirm where the measurement is taken for the can ???

Is it from the spun ends or the sleave length?

Could be interested in 27" with 2.75 inlet.

What's the O/D of the outlet?

Just to add to the mix.

Been given an opinion today that says

1 3/4" primaries @28-30" long

2" secondaries

and 2 1/2 into/through silencer will give better torque for a road/occasional track car

This is versus the common dia's from SBD etc which  the obove opinion suggests are better suited to Top end grunt

Your thoughts?

Just been doing a bit of enquiring myself today as well: the opinion was the pipe diameters for primary and secondaries would be reasonable, but that the secondaries were way too long, about 10" less would be beneficial! And strangely given how you say the pipe sozes are a little more biased to the top end, apparently secondaries that length are starting to rob some of the top end!

(Though in fairness to SBD, this was qualified by the comment that the design may have been optimised for a specific engine setup and "unusual" cam design).

Quote in from Hayward and Scott.

5 off VX Exhaust manifold as per SBD spec but bonnett exit.

Polished £500 + Vat

Satin Brushed £475 + Vat

10 off Silencer cans 7" x 26/ 29"  inlet to be specified.

£295 + Vat

6357.jpeg

can you confirm where the measurement is taken for the can

Is it from the spun ends or the sleave length?

i.e 26" is including the spun ends. (but not inlet & tail pipes)
What's the O/D of the outlet?

The outlet tends to be the same as the inlet. I.e like mine 2 1/2 inlet & 2 1/2 outlet.

My tail pipe accounts for 4 1/2" measured from the spun end.

Well it sounds like I have a bit of margin then, if the can is too long, I'll just hack a bit off the secondaries  .......  err I mean, I'll professionally remove a suitable amount :D

Tigger

BTW: Paul, Stew on this forum has mentioned that MK Engineering are doing repackable cans for around £160.00 a piece, maybe worth a mention?

Tigger

MK Engineering are doing repackable cans for around £160.00 a piece, maybe worth a mention?

I think you may find that price will be for a 6" can not a 7" one.

I think for the price Simpson are doing and the quality of the can its a bargain :D

Powerspeeds can (if their 6" was anything to go by) was no way near the quality of the Simpson one.

(Though in fairness to SBD, this was qualified by the comment that the design may have been optimised for a specific engine setup and "unusual" cam design).

Phew!!! At last.... ;)

haywood and scott is that Jans car

Ive drawn up my Silencer can as below

Mine measures

A = 26" or 610mm

B = 2 1/2" or 63.5mm

C = 1 1/2" or 42mm

6360.jpeg

So 98 - 99 Db from a 26" can

Eek, just checked the bank account and post xmas debts are kicking in big time, best count me out for the moment :(

Looking for a new (trackday friendly) silencer for my Zetec engined SEW -- need to mate to the Westfield standard zetec manifold (2" dia), how long are the inlet tubes on these units? are they angled to suit?

Cheers -- Trevor

Looking for a new (trackday friendly) silencer for my Zetec engined SEW -- need to mate to the Westfield standard zetec manifold (2" dia), how long are the inlet tubes on these units? are they angled to suit?

Currently the inlet are as per my drawing.

I have organised with Simpsons a step adaptor to take the collector from 2" to 2 1/2"  if reqd

Cost £10

As far as an angled inlet, I'll come back to you.

what length inlet are you requiring & do you know the angle

Important Information

Please review our Terms of Use, Guidelines and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.