Knob

Peter Cox

Peter Cox

Where's the best value for money place to get Gearlever knobs. I've just spent the day slicing my fingerprints off because the chrome's coming off my knob ("ooooh" and "must remember to wear gloves next time").

I'm looking especially for retail outlets in or around Nottingham so I can have an excuse for a blat tomorrow lunchtime. Failing that, the Internet or Mail order (even Demon Tweeks if they're not too extortionate).

####...always forgetting something - is "anodised" good and, if so, why?

Lastly, are all gear stick threads the same "M" value?

Thanks in advance.

Jon Murray

Peter

Most of the new style Halfords now look like a Max Power magazine advert inside - they're full of gear knobs, alloy pedal extensions, alloy filler caps and the like.

If I wanted a gear lever in a hurry, this is where I'd be going.  They have the alloy ones, carbon effect, etc.  Not dis-similar to the one I have fitted to my factory built car.

Not sure on fitments, but if tell them if you have a Ford gearbox (MT75, Type 9 etc) or Rover (R380) and you won't go too far wrong.

Besides, you can try it in the car park and if it doesn't fit - you simply take it back in!

Hope this helps.

Jon

PS  Did you say in another thread that were going up to Elvington for 6th April?  If, so I'll see you there! I'll be in a yellow SEiGHT with a black gear knob!

Jon

Peter Cox
PS  Did you say in another thread that were going up to Elvington for 6th April?  If, so I'll see you there! I'll be in a yellow SEiGHT with a black gear knob!

Cheers Jon, will try them...

Elvington yes, 6/4 no (unless I've made an epic mistake by misreading this website) - I'm going to Elvington on the 20/8 (the WSCC day). 6/4 is too close to impending arrival of offspring II.

I have a solid titanium knob!  :0

A mate had a piece of CP titanium which he milled up in just 15 mins, cost a few pints of beer and is absolute class  :D

Jon Murray

Okey Dokey,

I'm also going to the WSCC track day there - in fact I've applied for all the WSCC track days, but I'm also "sneaking" an extra (non WSCC) one in on 6/4/02 at Elvington - Going to try Cadwell too, except I'll be fending off shed loads of Caterthingies and Lotus's looking at the current entry list.

This year I'm determined to get some  track use out of the car. Besides I want to scrub off the God awful tyres currently fitted to it, and Elvington is just the place to do it (apparantly! )

Best of luck with "Offspring II" and don't forget to be nice to your kids - they get to choose your retirement home! :D

Jon

Know what you mean about the ali gearknob. Thought it was "dirt" on mine so tried to scrape it off with my fingernail. Proceeded to get long nasty sliver of ali stuck in finger under my nail :0 Did I swear or what ?  :angry:

Going to get a carbon fibre version from Halfords this weekend I think, should be much safer.

Blatman

Quaiffe sell a lovely nylon (white!;) knob for £12.50. They do them with M10 or M12 threads, so should fit most Westfields.

I bought 2...................

A nob shaped gear knob eh?  I did actually turn then carve one from solid ally a few years ago ( for a very distant friend of course) It looked quite magnificent!!

Brian

Peter Cox

I went to Halfords but their knobs weren't to my taste (ooh arr missus) and they were Foliatec "Anodised Design" which is not the same as Anodised.

I've settled on a D'mon Twix advertised Momo Anodised Aluminium £16.50 knob and I'm hoping it will fit on the end of my unthreaded 20 incher (gear lever, that is).

Thanks for the advice that was given.