Choice of Wheels?

sandhurst

I have now ordered my factory built Sport 2000 but can still change the wheel style.

It's between a 5 spoke [which I favour visually] and a multi spoke [which is said to be around 2 KG lighter per wheel].

Is the weight difference significant in any other area than bhp/ton - I am thinking of the mysteries [to me] of unsprung weight.

I should say that I am not thinking of changing from the standard size 195/50/15 tyres and the car is for road use only.

Dave

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• sandhurst

• KerryS

• Martin Keene

• Blatman

the exciting world of unsprung weight and the 'emotive' topic of wheel size is a regular feature of the boardroom... of the numerous previous threads, here is just one,

this one

:D

More important in the "mysterious" unsprung weight area than BHP/Tonne IMHO. I borrowed my mates wheels and tyres for a track day which had heavier wheels on (2.5 KG each, and the difference was really noticeable (in a bad way) choppy ride - skitish handling - unstable under braking and turn in - horrible! I appreciate I didn't have chance to set the car up properly but that said it is generally appreciated that the lower the unsprung mass the better!

Cheers

Jan

Ligther wheels always. Westfields are not heavy cars and as a result the unsprung weight is much higher %age of the cars total weight. Any measures taken to reduce it will have a much greater impact than the same weight reduction of sprung weight. I changed my wheels at the start of the year and saved 18kgs (allowing for scale accuracy) and the car felt completely different, in a good way I might add...

:D

I would have thought that reducing unsprung weight was possibly more / just as benificial on 'Fast Road' use than on the track.

this statement is based on the average 'A' or 'B' roads being considerably more bumby than a track surface would be and therfore you would want the suspension to react just as freely, after all there's very rearly any run off on the roads.  ???  ???

Right then, lighter wheels it is.

Apart from the now obvious reasons stated, I can't see them from inside the car anyway. I could look in shop windows as I creep by in traffic but I did this in my Convertible A70 and found that the traffic had stopped [the clue was the "kissing" noise coming from my bumpers and the happy chappy in front of me!].

Thanks for all the comments & advice.

Dave :D

Go for 13" wheels IMMHO

Going from 7X15 with 195/50/15 to 7x13 with 205/60/13 transformed my car.

I don't think I'd ever go back to 15" wheels after running with the 13" ones.

Chaz.

I'm on a bit of a crusade since I changed  :D

Personally I prefer the 13" opiton both in terms of looks and performance.

It's a personal choice as has been said many before.

Chaz.

Edited my last post to IMMHO (In My Most Humble Opinion)  :D

I'm on a bit of a crusade since I changed  :D

Personally I prefer the 13" opiton both in terms of looks and performance.

It's a personal choice as has been said many before.

Chaz.

Edited my last post to IMMHO (In My Most Humble Opinion)  :D

I have to agree, on my old car, I changed from heavy 15" Wheels and Toyo Proxies to light 13" wheels and AO21's and it was the best thing i did, looked a lot better IMHO to... :)

5516.jpeg

5517.jpeg

I have to agree, on my old car I went from 7.5x16" wheels (~19.5kg per corner with tyres :0 ) to 6x13" CXRs and it made a huge difference.  Best upgrade I've ever done.  

I also went to ACB-10s at the same time, so saved over 30kgs according to my scales, plus another ~20kg by ditching the spare wheel and bracket.  I'd never go back to the larger sizes as the feel of the car is transformed with the lighter wheels - less unsprung mass and less rotating inertia is the way forward!  :D

Steve.