Rear Suspension

Nick M

After wandering around the Autosport show in search of some new dampers to replace the crappy Spax ones, I located some on the AVO stand which looked as though they'd fit the bill.  Unfortunately they only do them to take 2.25" ID springs.

This isn't a problem on the front but could be a problem on the rear of the car.  Has anyone used this size spring on an SEiW and, if so, is there enough clearance on the chassis ??

Thanks in advance.

Not so fast, it depends on your wheels also  :(

I have 2 1/4" front and back - you may need a wheel spacer at the back. I think I used a 10mm spacer for my 15" wheels with 205 tyres on my SpeedSport (which is SEiW chassis).  Otherwise your wheels just won't go back on

Mike

Keith Scarfe
Unfortunately they only do them to take 2.25" ID springs.

AVO do direct replacements for the spax which are very good for the price (80 quid). Better than the yellow spax, just as good as the trax spax, but obviously not as good as the expensive multi way adjustable types - Koni etc.

They are called pro-race. I don't think they had any on display at the racing show they were only showing their expensive range DA2000.

Have a look at:

http://www.avouk.com/  

Goto products then pro-race they are the red ones.

I can't believe you are considering fitting alli bodied multi way adjustables on a road going westfield, (they are very expensive ~400 quid EACH) unless of course you are doing some impressive suspension tuning in which case I apologise and bow to your expertise.

The ones I was looking at were the SA1000 dampers - about £140 each from what they were saying on the AVO stand on Saturday.  They're alloy bodied and about 30% lighter than the Pro-race ones.  They're adjustable for bump and rebound at the same time (not two separate adjusters) and are fully rebuildable if I want to change the valving in them to suite the car.  Sadly they're not on the AVO web-site as it needs updating.

It's less to do with "impressive suspension tuning" than it is to do with weight reduction and wanting some dampers that were significantly less crap than the Spax ones.  That said, the AVO dampers should offer advantages over the Spax ones when it comes to tuning the car to my driving style.

Nick,

I went for the AVO's that are direct replacements for the SPACKKKTTTTTHHHH! The STD AVO's are infinitely better and have a finer adjustment and more gradual increase in damping rate. They also use 1.9 springs so you just need to fit your old springs to them. If you intend doing the suspension mods I've done then think about your bump and rebound lengths before selecting the appropriate shock. AVO will also do rose jointed ones for about £50 (£5-10 more expensive than bushed ones).

Regards

Windy

2.25 will not fit a live axled car, but will and SEi. You mat need to cut a small slot in the ally bulkhead though to let the top spring seat in a it protrudes by a nats whisker. I fitted AVO 1.9" to my car and they have 22 clicks of adjustment. By click 7 or 8 they are virtually solid. If you are going to spend £140 per corner and want 2.25" shocks go for Nitrons. Far better. However, the AVOs are far better than the Spax, mainly because the original Spax front shocks are too long and the rears too short. Probably getting the right length AVOs falsified the difference.

Check www.nitron.co.uk

John

BTW - most makes of rose jointed shocks have 12mm bolt holes rather than 7/16" and narrower bushes hence requiring top hat spacers. These seem to be only available from Westfield at £3 each and you need 16 for a car !!

John

A set of Nitron dampers is more in the region of £800 + VAT.

Looked at the Dampertech ones but wasn't overly impressed to be honest.

Spacers shouldn't be a problem for the spherical bearings as I have access to a lathe so could probably make 16 of them for £3 !!

Mike H - what offset are you using on your wheels ??

Not sure, but they are the 'super tourers' (I think) from Westfield. (The ones that have 10 spokes in 5 pairs)

The top hat bits, came with my kit - didn't realise they were £3 each  :0  :0  :0

The AVOs I have are the equivalent of the model below the SA1000, they are pretty good. The only difference from this years model is a change from welded to cast ends according to the AVO chap on Saturday.  Had an interesting chat with him when I mentioned how much Gaz shocks looked like my older AVOs!!!  He wasn't at all happy with them.

Mike

They were quite heavy and the castings and welding didn't look to be particularly wonderful.  Still better than Spax though.  Maybe it didn't help that I'd been looking at Ledas beforehand.

My impression may also have been tainted by the bloke I spoke to a) being a dangler and b) thinking he was funny, which he wasn't.

The AVO ones looked better made, particularly since they now have cast ends which look stronger.