Speed Traps and Nokia phones

gary

Did you know that if you have a Nokia mobile under Vodafone, then you can use it as a radar (speed trap) detector. :devil:

I was in a car recently as a passenger on the motorway,  when the phone bleeped, next thing I noticed as we went under a motorway bridge, was a police van on the bridge with a copper :arse:  pointing a radar gun out of it.

To enable your phone to do this, do the following in the phone setup:

Menu -> Settings -> Security Settings -> Closed User Group -> Select -> On  

enter 00000 (five zeros) and Ok it.

The phone was in a hands free kit in the tin-top.

I don't know whether this has to be the case (ie. to boost the signal) or not.

If you've done this successfully, a new icon will appear on the phone front, under Vodafone.

Scott Young

Thanks - I'll stick to my trusty Snooper unit that has saved my backside three times in the last month, thanks.  Best money I've spent in quite a while.

bbbbbbbbbbbbbbooooooooooooooollllllllllllllllllllllllllloooooooooooooccccccccccccccckkkkkk

kkkkkkkkkkkkkkksssssssssssssss

Scott Young
Interesting you say that. I've been toying with the idea of getting a radar detector for a while now.

Kevin

Mine's a Snooper SD715S.  Picks up all bands + laser, works with Gatso cameras too, you can tell which ones are on, off, or on "mimic" (no film but flashes).  Nice and small, great range, a touch sensitive in town (traffic light radars, shop door openers make it bleep) but you learn quick enough where those are.  Different signals for each band, and a strength meter tells you how close.  £199 at Halfords, but you can do £20-30 better on the net.  Coppers on the A14 in Northants have a radar gun in an unmarked van (and another with laser gun, beware), zapped someone two miles in front of me, detector went mad, slowed down.  Waved at them as I went past (ha ha ha) - just one example.  They don't play fair any more.  Get one.

I've been thinking about one of these little beauties too but I heard a while back that they are only legal again due to a loop hole in law and this could change at any minute.

Any thoughts.

Plus we don't seem to have many cameras in Leicester (yet!;)

Yes, the Feds were relying on some old legislation in the wireless telegraphy act to claim that they were illegal but that was ruled to be nonsense in a test case so no doubt they are thinking up something else as we speak to close the gap.

There are other boxes around which use GPS to log speed camera sites and just beep whenever you enter an area that has been marked as having a speed camera but of course they don't work for mobile cameras.

The manufacturers claim that they are safety devices which log the locations of accident blackspots. And, of course, since speed cameras are only located at blackspots... :-)

I suspect both types will become illegal if they do change the legislation however.

I'll get one while there are plenty on the market, I think. If they become illegal I think I'll fix it into the nosecone and wire it up to an innocuous looking lamp on the dashboard!

Kevin

...oddly I think they are of little use, they bleep at every traffic signal, sliding door and what seems like every microwave oven within 500 yds and yet I never venture out without activating the thing.

True,they give fair warning of cameras but those laser things they use here in Derbyshire only need to latch on  for an Nth of a second to get all the info on you they need. The first you will know of it is a little note from the local constabulary! The main use of the thing is that the constant beeping reminds you to check your speed.

Having just got away with a two week ban (67 in a 40 in the Westfield) it brings home the reality of loosing the ability to drive!! What else would YOU do on those hot summer Sundays without your Westy to drive?...mow the lawn? Think about it..   We have just got to SLOW DOWN on the road !

you could of course not get false alarms by using a geodessy devise which uses GPS to locate you and alert you of an impending camara plus if you spot a new one they pay you fifty quid so you know it will be up to date.

The general concensus over on Pistonheads is that the Geodesy coupled with a laser jammer is the way ahead.  The latter is "marginal" from a legal perspective but I doubt they would ever be able to ban GPS systems without making handheld GPS sets illegal as well.  Doubtful I'd say.

As for people who get caught doing excessive speeds in a 30mph or 40mph zone then that is a bit silly and yes you do need to slow down.  However, you could also do worse than joining the Association of British Drivers who are campaigning on pro-motoring issues, some of which include arguing for correctly set speed limits rather than those put in at the whim of the local council to generate more revenue from catching speeding motorists.  Check them out and if you can't find a good reason not to join then sign up !!  :)