Which fuel pump for 1700 Xflow

SteveF

Can anybody tell me which is an appropriate electric fuel pump for fitting to a 135 bhp Xflow with twin 40DCOE Webbers, and the best way to go about fitting it.

The cars fitted with luminition ignition, and everything at the moment works off a single 17/35A fuse  :0 . The engine also has its original mechanical pump working off the crank (on the side of the block) - after being sat for a day or so, the fuel line looses its prime (no leak apparent) - and it virtually flattens the battery turing the engine over for long enough for it to re-prime

Thanks

Steve

Steve Kirk

Dear Steve

try a silver top road pump if your going for the interrupter points type , these are good for around 150 horse and can be mounted engine end or tank end.don't know what sort of current they draw butyou can always make up a supplementry loom, fed from an ignition live relaysuitably fused.Should cost around £60 or so

Hope this helps

Steve Kirk

Or.........The Facet interuptors can be really un-reliable. You could try the solid state Facet, which is much more reliable, and would have no problem delivering enough fuel. There are also Webber or Holley fuel pumps which will be well up to the job, and reliable. As a general rule, you should always mount the fuel pump as close to the tank as possible, unless it is specifically designed to operate in the engine bay, and always pre-filter it.

My Facet Competition Silver Top 5-6.5 psi with regulator has worked fine with my x-flow which has 145 bhp at the flywheel. The comment about pre-filtering is absolutely right though, crap in the fuel eventually stopped my first one working, even though they do have a built in filter. Also, think very seriously about wiring in an inertia switch. I have a pretty crude and old one I got from a scrapyard - a Triumph one I think, but it saved my bacon at New Brighton when I hit one of the kerbs there a couple of years ago.

I'll stick another vote down for a solid state facet. Worked all the time I had a 145 bhp X-flow. dont forget a regulator as the pressure will cause your carb to flood cos the needle valves wont close properly.

I personally dont like inertia switches - yes you get safety but you also get a level of un reliability. Westfield Chassis get a bit more stick just running the kerbs on the circuits than you average saloon and I figures you might get false cut offs (other stories seem to relate that this can happen).

On the inertia switch point - I hadn't considered the beating a circuit car gets, the kerbs I (deliberately) whack in sprints and hillclimbs are a bit gentler, and I've had no false alarms myself but your mileage may differ of course. Just for my information though, don't you chaps with injection motors who go circuit racing have inertia switches wired in? The pressure being so much greater I would have thought it was a must? I think one of the scariest sights in the world is a large orange marshal attempting to run fast carrying a fire extinguisher.

If you choose a silver top pump remember to use anti vibration rubber mounts and and ensure your earth(s) are good. This WILL improve your reliabilty. :D

Will give the solid stae fuel pump another vote.

Mine is mounted close to the tank as there are already connections for it in the wiring loom at the the tank end. (92 SE)

Have had no problem with fuel delivery apart from the clack clack when the fuel tank is low and there are lots of corners. Having said that i have never pluttered once.

You will need a regulator though.

Clive