x-flow spark plugs

colnagowetdream

colnagowetdream

Hi, I'm a new club member having just purchased my first westfield, a rather dog eared standard bodied SE, but brilliant fun all the same. I'm having a few starting problems and the leads and plugs are not in the best of conditions (the spark being v.weak at the plugs, new coil fitted and no difference). The car is fitted with Lumenition electronic ignition and NGK "R" BCR8ES plugs. Are these the best plugs to use and what gap should they be set at.

The '8' indicates a fairly hard/cold plug in the NGK range, but whether this is right for your engine depends on the state of tune. an '8' grade does OK on my 1700 x-flow with c. 145 bhp at the flywheel. You could try a lower number, say a '6' or '7', but presuming that the Lumenition thingy is working OK your problems may lie elsewhere as this should punch out a good fat spark in any event. Leads are always a point of suspicion. BTW I gap my NGK B8EV's at 23 thou. but I can't remember why.