Zetec power opinion

JonnyBoy

jess.hurchist

By all accounts the duratec should be a good option for a new build / pinto replacement.  Over square bore, bigger valves, all alloy.

May we see some (vx) words eaten here in the near future?

damianc

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• SteveD

• Carl

• jess.hurchist

• CedricTheBrave

Thanks for the replys but there will be no burning of anything thanks very much! The zetec stays. Not entirely sure of the logic behind building a beautiful car and burning it?! An engine replacement would probably have to be the next venture into the kitcar world. Having learned lots from the first build, a better engine would come in an even better put together car. and to further the bebate, it would most likely be a V8. (i can imagine the sound of it now.....)

Cheers

JonnyBoy

CedricTheBrave

Also interestingly enough

Ford are to produce the Duratec in 2.3L form

Same block dimensions etc

now that would be a great upgrade for the pinto boys

If you're not up for the "burn it to the ground" route then I reckon a set of cams would be a good upgrade. The standard Zetec seems to be tuned for torque at lower revs rather than outright power at high revs, understandably given the weight of the Mondeo, etc. If you're running the milder 105 ps cams on the 1.8 Zetec then I'd say this is even more true.

You will always lose some of this low down torque with a cam upgrade but with a car as light as a Westie it doesn't really hurt since you've got no weight to lug around.

I have a set of 2L spec camshafts lying around somewhere, which would be a worthwhile upgrade from the 105ps cams but why not go a stage further and get some fast road cams?

I got some head work done as well on my 2L Zetec and it flies. It feels much less "flat" than the standard Zetec did.  I wouldn't worry about the head at this stage though. You'd probably be better off going to a 2 Litre engine before spending money on the head, but the cams will work in either engine so they would definately be money well spent.

Kevin

JonnyBoy,

I have some used (good nick) 2l 130 cams you can have if you wish.

I can vouch for the Dunnell cams and a light flywheel in a 2l, its now a really revy engine with good mid torque (and got within 0.2secs of a busa at Santa Pod 1st time out)

Carl

ian crocker
I can vouch for the Dunnell cams and a light flywheel in a 2l, its now a really revy engine with good mid torque (and got within 0.2secs of a busa at Santa Pod 1st time out)

Time, gentlemen please!  And speed.

Thanks,

Ian

Blimey,

figured an off the cuff remark like that would get me into trouble.

2l Zetec SE, Dunnell exhaust, cams, flywheel, open diff.

13.8 secs, 100.24mph (1st time at Pod)

Factory Busa

13.665 secs, 103.97mph (should be faster?)

As per everybody else my time is way slow because, I'd eaten loads of mars bars, car was running of 3 cylinders (and wheels), will be in low 10's next time, etc, etc, etc. :devil:

Mr. Elworthy,

I think you'll find the technical term is Chrome Yellow, you philastine!

p.s. Fancy a cobblers drive out on last weekend of Jan? :D

wannawestfield

Glad to see that there are other Zetec fans here.  This is the motor I'll put in when I get my Westfield.  The lowdown torque seems just right for lazy Sunday drives.  And I'll probably never race my car (other than a drag here and there) so why shouldn't I pick the easiest, cheapest, most easily modified motor available?

And now, to initiate the argument that American rednecks have every Sunday at the nearest dirt oval, Ford is better than Chevy/VX/GM anyway!   :D  

I'm joking!  Please don't hurt me...

I'm sticking to my YB though for sentimental reasons

nothing to do with the fact that the 110kgs under the bonnet counterbalances the 110kgs further back in the car creating a perfect 50/50 balance!

Yellow and proud!  :D