Zetec power opinion

JonnyBoy

Ive only just got in to the westfield scene and asked numerous people what Westy to go for first.  I was after something very quick and was looking at Cosworth, V8 and VX powered cars.  Eventually I settled for a VX based one.  Mine is a '98 SVA registered with a 1987  :0  Astra 2l 16v lump in it.  Performance wise it is awesome along with the handling.  I know there are plenty of excellent reasons to go for a zetec one but in your case I would go for the VX as it gives excellent power straight away saving valuable £'s for other toys rather than med/heavy modification on the zetec to match the VX.

Westy :cool:

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• SteveD

• Carl

• Arm

• jess.hurchist

maybe lighter but dosn,t make up for the extra bhp and torque of the vx as said before you don,t see many in the speed series

Paul@Plays-Kool

Got to agree with all the comments, I've had a 130PS Zetec in a Striker & 2 Westfields with VX engines, No contest. The VX is MUCH better & Yes it does weigh more, but the power & it's delivery are light years ahead of the Zetec.  Roll on the speed series.........I feel the need for speed & PS2 is no substitute!

Paul@plays-kool

Mark Stanton

As driver of a lowly powered CVH and having seen more Westfields than hot dinners for the past 10+ years.

I would observe that the latest generation Zetec units are more than adequate for a road car and fun track day use. The Ford engines have been fitted by Westfield for a number of years - parts are readily available at reasonable cost, Westfield have dealt with Ford for a number of years.

But track stars they ain't - Keith Scarfe won the BARC race series in 2001 using a Zetec against all other Zetecs - a good result against equal opposition.

A few years back when class B was an open engine class the championship Class B was dominated by Vauxhall units.

Similarly with the Club organised Speed Series - take a look at Class B 2 litre and its dominated by Vauxhall units as with the c******m guys.

The 2 litre Zetec is tuneable but not as well as a Vauxhall.

The 1800 Zetec well, for 2002 the Speed Series is including this in class 2a (up to 1800 instead of up to 1700) cos you can get just as much BHP from a well tuned 1700 X-flow as you can an 1800 Zetec. Many of the Speed Series guys (and gals) still use 1700 X-flows pushing out some serious BHP.

So if you're looking for serious BHP look at the track and see what they're using = Vauxhall units.   :xmas:

CedricTheBrave

He he

I thought that would provoke a you lot a bit

I know that the VX is more tuneable and can produce more power (although much heavier)

but guys

its a Vauxhall !!

Nuff said

:D  :arse:

although much heavier

I thought there was only about 15kg's in it, to the favour of the Zetec. Not enough to make up any discernable difference IMHO.

The third option...........

Raceline are starting to use the 2.0 Duratec out of the new Mondeo - All aluminium, better head design. Will save about 20kg over a Zetec and is easier to tune.

Just have to wait for all those reps to stick them in ditches, trees, hedges etc over the coming icy months!! :p

Duratec engines have inlet/exhausts on the opposite side to Zetecs/Vx's/Crossflows. Ie the same side as Pinto's and Cosworths, so a nice clean swap would/could entail a new bonnet and body tub................

there is one good point if the new duratec is all alloy it would burn a lot easier you could even get complete meltdown!

SteveD

Thought you were supposed to have a Westfield to be part of this 'elite' discussion group, not some C******m copy even if it does have the right engine in it !

ho ho ho

ill have you  know its the real thing , not just a cheap silver copy with a lotus badge on it ,( wanabe boy)

oh   s**t   i have  just thought the worrying thing is we have a club night on wednesday you'l be like the kkk waiting for me arrrrrrrrrrnooooooooooooooo

Gonna start a petition to stop you coming down the club !

We dont want your sort (C******m w*****s)coming to OUR club. If the Area Organiser was any good he'd sort it out ! (T****r) :arse:

:D

listen here Mason were going to sort this out Wednesday night - 2 laps of the whipping stocks car park you in your silver wanabe machine and I'll be in real McCoy and no cutting corners i've heard about you westfield drivers  :arse:

Ian Podmore

You all seem to be trying to depress us poor 2nd class Zetec owners!

You have got Cosworth to thank for the easy access to good power from the Vx engine.  They did the development work including the heads (that is straight from the either Mr Costin or Duckworth, but can't remember which, at a lecture soem years ago when I was young).

The rest of us will just have to make do with what we have got! :)