LSD - Which oil to use?

I am about to fit a Sierra viscous limited diff to my SEi.

Talking to a colleague today who rallies a 4x4 Seirra - he reckons the standard EP90 fluid is not "sticky" enough for the proposed use of the diff.  He uses Silkolene Gearbox oil from a company in Telford.

Any thoughts out there as to the type of oil to use?  For the benefit of the Chesire mob - no, I don't intend to change the oil too often!

Thanks.

I run a synthetic 'LSD' rated EP90 in my LSD. bear in mind on a Westfield you want quite a 'light' setting of limited slip especially compared to a rally car.

As stated many times before on this site the viscous LSD is a sealed unit so different oil viscosities have no effect on the slip characteristics of it. EP90 or EP80 oils are fine for this diff so don't be conned into buying a more expensive synthetic oil. The crownwheel and pinion lubricant is the same as for any other standard non LSD diff.

Regards

Windy

Forgot to mention some other stuff!

I'd be very surprised if your friend is using viscous LSD's on a rally car as they wont last 10 minutes of this sort of abuse. He is probably using plate type LSD's which do require use of a special oil.

I am speaking from experience of destroying two viscous LSD's in my Westfield - trust me they don't last and soon revert to the characteristics of a std diff - i.e. start to spin the inside wheel in a corner. For light cars the recommended diff to use is the Quaiffe ATB version, for heavier cars plate type LSD's work better.

Regards

Windy