Fuel Injection Tanks

Nick M

Thanks Paul - that's exactly what someone else warned me about.

To give Westfield some credit, their latest injection tanks have what can best be described as alloy bungs into which the outlet and return pipes can be bolted.  They can, therefore, be drilled to take bigger fittings and I was looking at something around 12mm (-10 JIC ??) for the outlet and 8mm (-6) for the return.

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• keithadams

• Blatman

• Nick M

• Robert

I had promised to photograph my undertray which I duly did. Unfortunately the film has been stuck in the camera since the weekend and no-one can get it out  :angry: a realy p*sser as it also has some holiday snaps on it.

Paul; I thought about having the original tank modded but bought the Westfield one in the end, hence the tank to hold the filter and pump.

colin

Nick

I seem to be a bit late entering this conversation, but seeing from Westfield World that all your problems were down to me I guess I had better add my few words.

I modified my standard tank by welding a small square section tank under the main tank.  This sits between the chassis rails (refer Windy's description - I copied his design!)

The tank was cleared of petrol vapour by filling it a couple of times with hot water and than blowing air through it for a couple of hours (So that is what a Hoover is used for - oh and possibly cleaning that new kitchen!).

My local fabricator / blacksmith did this and welded on -8 fittings at the same time. It was all done for about £50 if I recall - Cheaper than from Westfield and half the bother.  (Fittings from Think Automotive Ltd 0181 5681172 www.thinkauto.co.uk).  They do an excellent range of fittings and also supplied the braided fuel hose from tank to engine bay at a reasonable price.

Keep the 1600 16v Ecotec flag flying!!

Keith

Oh decisions, decisions !!!!

Cheers Keith - I may yet go down this route, not least because I now have the fuel tank sitting on my work-bench having had to take it out so I could remove a couple of wish-bone bolts that I'd put in the wrong way round when I built the car.  Doh !!

Interesting. I've been thinking about this very subject. My decision may be made easier by the fact that I am also missing a fuel sender, which is a problem with a thirsty car and a 6 gallon tank. Problem is a big tank requires a new boot box, unless someone knows of a larger FI tank that fits with the deep box?

Bill

If you are converting to fuel injection from carbs you may find that you do not need a larger tank!  My 1600 16v Ecotec running on SBD throttle bodies probably gives at least 10 mpg better consumption than my 1700 X-flow on 45's!

Consider?

Keith

Maybe, but whilst converting I am planning on a 25% power hike, so whilst hoping for 25MPG cruising about, my leaden size 11's may prevent this, as a rotary at 8000RPM sounds soooo nice.

Just a quick word of advice on welding used petrol tanks        

Many years ago I had cause to move the postion of the filler neck in a VW tank (beach buggy job) Following GP's advice I ran a garden hose through the tank for a full 24hrs!

It still managed to take my eyebrows off when I went near it with the welding gun. BE WARNED.

Brian.

Nick

The new westfield injection tanks no longer have a swirl bowl located centrally (always looked like the bottom of a saucepan too me ) the outlet is now a triangular pot , shaped to miss the chassis rail , at the nearside.supply and return are all screwed jic fittings so youu can choose size's to suit. Price £131.91p without sender +VAT.

Steve  :p