ShaggyMan

ShaggyMan

Hi All,

I have been offered a Subaru Impreza STI engine and all running gear for a very reasonable price.

I know very little about Westfield cars so wondered if this sort have project has be performed on a Westie? Could I use the 4wd running gear? Do people sell part finished projects which i could buy to do the transplant? Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Many Thanks

Chris

I don't know if there are any 4x4 Westfields in existence, but Dax make a 4x4 Se7enesque using Cossie running gear. My first reaction would be that the engine, being a flat 4, would be too wide to fit in the chassis, and if it did, with the exhausts exiting under the engine, you would have to mount it higher in the chassis than you might like, thereby compromising the handling.

There is a kit car based on the Sub running gear but it isnt cheap, it's called the Delfine.. cant remember the manufacturer though. The problem with the Sub engine is its width, its way too wide to fit a seven type chassis as would *any* boxer engine be.

Dave

The Subaru 'kit car' is the Delfino from Italy.  It is a full impreza chassis, running gear and engine - effectively just a rebodied impreza. I couple of friends drove the prototype and said it was truly awesome.

Died of a death as Subaru wouldn't support it or even supply hardware. Last I heard they were trying to redesign around a more available 'source'.

Trying to work it out in my head (having owned an impreza and now owning a westfield), I think it would be possible to fit in a westie/cat, the exhaust exits (through the turbo) at the rear of the engine quite high up. BUT it would probably be easier/better to copy the delfino and build a bespoke body around the engine and running gear.

steppenwolf

I have an Impreza STi (296BHP) myself and have often thought what a fantastic kit car you could have with this particular engine installed!

I love my Westie but for me, it would have to go in a Chesil Speedster ....... hmmmmmmmm .... definitely wide enough!

subart.gif

Oh yeah that would be nice -

Scooby Doo meets Porche!

Not sure the Speedster would be up to it though - could be 'interesting'. :cool:

I wonder exactly how many Westy owners did have a Scooby before. I know at least 4 of us in Megablades came from the Impreza turbo.

Mark Probert

Put me down for the scooby as a previous car.

Sold my MY99 due to its instatiable desire for fuel, tyres, pads and discs on track days.  I hav a friend who did exactly the same 6 months later.  We both drive diesels now, and he has a fury blade, Im looking for a seight/megabusa.

Out of interest, I have already seen a web-site with the cheesil speedster scooby conversion.  If anyone really is thinking of doing this, I'll try to find it again.  I seem to remember that the guy did it all on his driveway as well - what a hero.

Hear John felstead is selling his ZEi - anyone know what hes planning next?

Mark

Gary Foster

Hmm, sold Scooby, bought a Fury Blade + diesel. That would be me then :)

I reckon a Scooby engine would fit in my Fury. Not sure it's such a great idea though, Cossie turbo would be more tuneable (probly heavier though), and any bike engine would be lighter. Saw a written off 7 Series with a V8 (4.0 L ?) in the scrappy the other day, I was this >< close to asking how much they wanted.

GaryC - I'm sure I've seen someone on Scoobynet who's done exactly the same as you (ie 330d + Westie).

steppenwolf

Cossie would be more tuneable BUT ....

budda-budda-budda-budda-budda-budda .... if you have had a Scoobie, you'll KNOW what I'm talking about!!!!

image9.gif:love:

Quote from Gary Foster, posted on Nov. 15 2001,21:26

GaryC - I'm sure I've seen someone on Scoobynet who's done exactly the same as you (ie 330d + Westie).

Wouldn't have the username GaryC would 'he'  ;)

Still got my Scoob  :love: , but I may be going down the diesel road next year - Golf GTI TDI PD 150 (Cuddly toy, fondue set etc.  ;) ) is probably the choice.

There was a good thread running on ScoobyNet a while ago about Scooby / Westie ownership - JF wasn't the only one over there.

GregH - are you out there building your speedsport now?

If you wanted to try putting a flat 4 into a westie - there was an advert recently (Sti parts for sale) for someone breaking an Sti - 280 bhp in a Westie  :devil:  - sounds nice to me

Steve