lsd oil

scott beeland

have just tried Valvoline 75./90 full synthetic in my diff today but will not be on road for some time to prove, however have run my ecotec vectra for 2 years and my Westy redtop for 1 year on Halfords full synthetic engine oil. No probs and it runs absolutely clean with no leaks. On enquiry it seems that halfords oil is infact an Esso product.

Fast Westie

Scott

If you have a Quaiffe torque sensing or a Ford Viscous diff then you can use any diff oil (75W90 or 80W90). If it is a plate type diff you have to be more careful since changing the oil characteristics changes the slip characteristics of the plate. You should use LSD oil.

For your Vaux engine, be careful with fully synthetic oil since it gets very thin when hot which can lead to rattley tappets

'Ford diff' is a little ambiguous, the Ford viscous type dont have any special requirement since the LSD part is a sealed silicone filled coupling, plate/clutch diffs on the other hand require special lubricants. AFAIK unless an aftermarket diff unit has been fitted inside the casing, all of the Sierra/Granada type diffs 7" to 9" have viscous couplings and should be happy with regular diff oil.

Dave

I use Valvolene 5W50 fully synthetic in the vx (£16 for 4 litres). My engine was run for 5 seasons of track days, hillclimbs and sprints and when stripped showed that there was absolutely no wear on the crank or cams. Do not under any circumstances use mineral oil because it will aerate at high rpm, pump up the hydraulic followers and cause damage to cam lobes. Mineral oils are only recommended for running in a freshly rebuilt engine to promote initial bedding in of bearings and bores etc. Change to fully synthetic oil after the first oil change and your engine will last.

Regards

Windy

Quote from DVAndrews, posted on Nov. 13 2001,12:56Quote:

''Ford diff' is a little ambiguous, the Ford viscous type dont have any special requirement since the LSD part is a sealed silicone filled coupling'

OK then, if it's a standard Ford (Sierra or Granada) LSD, then Ford recommend using LSD oil.

My flabber has never been so gasted, to all intents and purposes there is no difference between the intermeshing components within an open Sierra diff and a a viscous LSD one, all the parephernalia for controlling the slip between the two sides is entirely self contained within a sealed slicone filled coupling, so why Ford would recommend an oil designed for plate type LSDs is beyond me. I have always used a regular hi spec. diff oil in the 2WD Cos diff in my seven as have several others I know of with no problems. I am sure the LSD oil will provide correct lubrication, but I would think it is more expensive since it is of a more controlled viscosity.

Dave

Dave,

Please don't let your flabber be gasted, it wouldn't be the first time Ford got it wrong (remember the Probe?) would it. I was however under the impression that the viscous part was subject to the oil in the diff, so it looks like I am wrong too.

???

The LSD is indeed a sealed unit so any difference in oil viscosity will not have any affect whatsoever on the diff characteristics - EP90 is what I've used. The standard 4x4 viscous lsd is not up to handling the abuse I've been giving them on sprints and hillclimbs. I rebuilt 2 diffs in my car in a period of 8 months becauses the lsd bit had reverted to std diff characteristics. My advice is to buy the Quaiffe ATB diff if you are intending to use your car in competition - it is money well spent and has so far (in 2 years) not given me any trouble.

Regards

Graham