Freelander Diffs.

gee_fin

Having heard people rave about the Freelander diff I have a few questions I hope you can help with -

- is it a direct swap for the Sierra based unit or does it need different mounting points and a change in drive shafts?

- are they all limited-slip and what are the range of ratios available?

- I've had a range of prices from 'too good to be true' to 'too expensive to justify over a Quaife', has anyone narrowed down the best source for them yet?

- and finally, does anyone know accurately the actual weight saving when compared to the Sierra unit, again, I've heard some outlandish figures and would like to know the real one.

Cheers,

Graeme.

Hi Graeme,

It mounts in a standard chassis using some very heavy adaptor plates (3kg total).

The diff and the adaptor plates (with no output shafts) weigh 20kgs.

The driveshafts, inner (diff) output shaft and upright stubaxle weigh 7kgs each, greased with boots, tripods etc etc. This is where the weight saving is. A tripod setup like this is quite a bit lighter  than the lobro setup.

A sierra diff with the Quaife innards weighs 26kgs (with output shafts), so the weight of the diff itself is not much different.

The ratio is 3.21:1 and I think this is the only ratio available (so it's for Bike engined cars only really)

Everything above is a fact. If anyone tells you any different, dont believe them.

Sources... Hmmm. I believe they're produced exclusively for Westfield by Quaife/Power Train Projects. 1200quid for the diff, mounts and the complete driveshaft assemblies.

It is very expensive, but then having the Quaife innards fitted to a sierra diff can cost >700quid.

If you dont have to have LSD, a standard freelander diff might be good and would be ~5kgs lighter, plus would perhaps be available in different ratios. But I dont think these things are cheap from breakers.

Cheers,

Horsebox

Hmm, interesting, cheers for that. Clears up a lot of rubbish I've been hearing then. I'll stick with the Sierra LSD. Thanks for the info.

300quid? Blimey. Thats good for people who want a current plate. I think thats cheaper than a new standard sierra diff.

And I think it'll be quite light cos the Quaife innards are quite a bit heavier than a normal diff. So 15kgs?

You'd probably still have to buy the driveshaft assemblies from Westfield though, because they're probably not  the same length as the freelander ones.

The ratio is good for bike engined cars, although maybe not if its just for competition where you might want something around a 3.6 or a 3.9.

I believe the 1600 Sierra diff is also quite light. This uses tripod joints so should be a bit lighter than the normal Westfield diff which I  think is 1800/2000cc Sierra.

Cheers,

Horsebox.

Yes, it was Fisher cars that I was speaking to at the Donington show and he seemed to be able to source them very cheaply which got me thinking about them. From memory, I think he was talking about a 3.3 bike-engined ratio though.

*shrugs* Well, there are still cheaper ways to save weight, once they're exhausted the diff might receive some attention. Thanks again for the info.

Slightly off on a tangent, but the 'rev limiter' has a Freelander (until her MINI cooper arrives on Saturday  ;) ) and the diff is very noisy!  Had it looked at by LR and got told "thats what they are all like"

Not so much of a problem in an 1800kg soundproofed tank, but would/could be in a 400kg open topped featherlight!! Unless you just kept the revs up to drown the noise!!!

I dont think there's many freelander bits left in the diff. It's basically just the casing, the bearings and the input and output flanges with quaife innards.

Cheers,

Horsebox.

I've got a freelander diff. It's quite a bit smaller than a sierra diff but not sure about the weight. If a new freelander diff (not LSD) is cheaper than a new Sierra diff (not LSD) then that's quite  good for people trying to get a new regi plate. I spose sources of sierra diffs might be drying up a bit, well new ones anyway.

If you're interested it for a car-engined-car then dont bother. I think it's only available as a 3.21:1 which is perfect for bike- engined-cars but for car-engined-cars would probably give you a theoretical top speed of 200mph!

Cheers,

Ed