Vx Head Porting in Bristol.

gee_fin

I've got another spare head that I want to port while on leave in Bristol at the end of this month. Are there any resident porting experts in the South West area that could show me how much can be taken out of the ports? I've got all tools, I just need to see an example port to get an idea of how far to go.

Any help will be well funded with beer and/or rum :D

Cheers,

Graeme.

Swindon's not that far away.  Maybe one of their employees lives in that neck of the woods ?  

And the chap who runs Owen Developments in Abingdon has a friend who works for Swindon who ported a Corsa head to good effect - might be worth a call to see where he's based.

How likely is it that Swindon would do a port for me and then let me go and do the rest myself though? Doubtful I would think I would be saving an awful lot of money....really need a wscc member/home hobbyist/beard to show me a port....any thoughts?

No, you muppet !!

What I meant was that someone who works for Swindon might be willing to help you out, if you could find any names, etc.  Hence my suggestion of speaking to the chap at Owen Developments and taking it from there.

I dunno, some people......

Listen you, this isn't Buzzez don't make me slap you. You want me to ring Swindon and say "Hi, can I borrow one of your technicians for free for a while?" Muppet. *slap* There, now see what you've done.  ;)

Ayup Graham,

I've done a few VX heads and am in the process of doing one now, unless you are going big valve then the work involved isnt that difficult, the short turns on inlet and exhaust need some work as do the throats. The inlet port requires some enlargement too.

I'll see if I can take some photos and put them on the PC sometime, or you could drop up to MK with your head and I could do a sample port or two.

Dave

Did I say ring Swindon and ask them ??  Did I !!?  :arse:

Or did I suggest calling someone at Owen Developments and seeing where that lead ??  Oh, look, I appear to have done precisely that !!!

Muppet !!  :p

Thanks Dave. Some photos would be a huge help. It's really just to get an idea of how much I can safely take out. I'm not looking at going silly on the thing, just opening them out a little. I probably will up the valves but I'll leave that bit to a professional, I just want to get the bulk of the work done while I have the time.

I would love to drive over to see a sample port done - although the head is currently in Bristol! Still, I'd happily make the journey as I would like to get it right. I'll drop you an email if it's okay.

Much appreciated,

Cheers,

Graeme.