New Engine - Will Transmission Survive?

Dom

Its not the power that's the problem with the type 9 but its the revs put through the bearings. A Pro spec box runs needle roller bearings which are more happy at higher engine rpm. A pro synchro box usually needs a rebuild after a season of sprinting as the sacrificial parts (the baulk rings) wear out. These are inexpensive and a rebuild is not bad at £80 - £100 a time. Pro spec boxes with std soft baulk rings in need of a rebuild can be bought for £350+. I can recommend Phil Stewart 01959 525105 as an excellent diff and transmission rebuilder - there are many so called experts about who tend to rip you off and do a bad job but Phil is one of the few people who truly know what they are doing.

Graham

P.S. get some ear plugs - if your engine revs to 9000 you certainly won't notice a straight cut box!

Graeme

I know what you mean about the noise.  I feel like I have been in an air raid when I come back from a drive.  I have some earplugs so i will give them a go.

Many thanks for you help and a contact.

Dominic

Dom

Best option I have found is a BGH Geartec box - Brian Hill is a star with Ford boxes.  His heavy duty close ratio Type 9 will cope with this abuse - £660 plus VAT.

01580-714114

Richard

my t9 box started having issues by the end of my last track day (2 weeks ago).  Sometimes sticks in 4th now. Haven't had time to investigate properly so it's possible it's just a stuck clutch cable... not sure.  The box has been transmitting 162lb/ft of torque and  192bhp from an NA cossie.

Dom

I've got a 1600xflow with 145bhp @ the flywheel running through an RS2000 4sp box. I want more power preferably without changing engine/box. Also would prefer to stay under 1700cc for possible future sprints,etc.

Can you mail me your engine spec. for more ideas of how to get more power!

Can anyone tell me if this will cost more than a transplant to zetec or Vx 16v?

:D

Cheers

Rich

The BGH Geartech boxes are excellent, a lot less expensive than the equivalents, quiet in operation (helical) with stunning ratios. I've used one on my car (Rocket 5 speed) with 240BHP+ and over 185ft/lb and it is still pristine and slick. Brian hill improves the bearings and lubrication as well as slickening up the shift.

Money well spent and great peace of mind.

Dave