Competing

MIKEASHTON

I'm after any information regarding competing in Hill Climbs and Sprints, in a 1700cc Road Legal Westy.

What modifications are necessary to the car (double return accelarator springs, master cut out switch etc etc), what license do I need and how do I apply for one, list of events, is membership to any organisation required, safety equipment needed.

Additionally, other than track days, is their anywhere available that you can take a Westy on track to play around with setups and get some practice in ?  ???

You require a minimum of a Non Race National B speed licence. Telephone the RAC / MSA on 01753 681736 and ask them to send you a application form for next year. Cost is £28 (or was this year) and you dont need a medical or anything.

Car wise, you need to label your ign switch with the off position and it must be reachable when you are strapped in. You will need to tape over stick on wheel balance weights and tyres must conform to RAC list 1A. These are in the blue book that you get when you finally get your licence. You need a timing blade fitting to the front of your car and a roll over bar. Single hoops are accepted but not recommended. As you say you need twin throttle return springs and a minimum of a 1 litre catch tank for your engine breathers. The engine to cockpit and cockpit to fuel tank area must be sealed (no holes) All this info is in the blue book.

Battery master switches and fire extinguishers are only recommended and are not absolutely essential. I have even seen cars with inertia reel seatbelts instead of harnesses, but I wouldn't do it.

John

John

Just to add to Johns comments.

Make sure your tyres on on list1A in the blue book. Most road tyres are but some of the special road legal tyres arent.

Make sure your roadgoing seats dont lift you too high in the cockpit. you need 15mm between the top of the roll bar and the top of your helmet.

Put yellow tape on your Battery earth.

Make sure you have good condition seat mountings and seatbelts pref 3/4 point.

Otherwise the rest is normal stuff for an MoT / Track ie nothing falling off. no leaks, fuel breather rather than escape etc...

Quote:

you need 15mm between the top of the roll bar and the top of your helmet.

I thought it was 50mm.................

:durr:

Forgot to mention that you will need a Helmet and overalls as per the blue book

John

You mentioned tracks to go and play/set up etc. Following may not be near you, but Three Sisters in Ashton-in-Makerfield near Wigan have sessions on Thursdays, 2 hours for £25 or £30. Restricted to Competition Licence holders only I believe. This is used as a sprint venue as well 5 or 6 times a year so it can count as a bit of practice as well. If you are concerned about your first scrutineeriing you could get a scrutineer to have a look at your car ahead of your first event. Contact info for them is listed in the Blue Book, or the other one that comes with it. Make sure you get a Hillclimb/Sprint event scrutineer though, there are different specialities within scrutineers. Best of luck.