Need some advice

pmc_3

Down the road from where I live in Peterborough, there are some roadworks on the A47, about 4 speed cameras each side, a 40 limit in the actual road works.

I went to get my brother and his girlfriend from east midlands airport last night and I got flashed by one of them last night when I was coming back. Normally i'd say if you've done the crime then just pay up and take the consequences, but I dont think i've done anything wrong.... The camera in question is a gatso and its actually before the road works ???  Its next to the 200 yard sign, its dual carriage way with national speed limit, so 70mph limit. I started slowing down, I knew the camera was actually before the road works so I figured it was set for a higher speed. I passed it about 60mph and it flashed twice  :(  

Is there anything I can do? I was planning on going and taking a pic with the digi cam of the camera in question, so I can prove it was actually before where the speed limit changes.

I'd agree with what you said. Go take a piccy so if you get the dreaded letter you can prove you wern't doing anything wrong. If the camera is outside the road works then it should be set to the 70 limit.

My karting mechanic got done in a similar way, there had just been road works on the dual carridgeway but all the signs and cones were still left on the hard shoulder to be collected but because the speed limit sign was visible from the road he got the ray gun treatment for doing 60 in a 40 zone. Very cheeky!!!

Well i'll go and take a couple of pics with both cameras.

The other pain is that the car I was driving is a hire car while my company car is being repaired after some dozey cow drove into the back of it. They took a card number so they could pay a speeding fine if it came through....

I'm sure some of these cameras are just set to go off randomly, i've been through the same camera about 4 times at a similar speed and not been flashed once  :suspect:

digital cameras not allowed as evidence. use a poin and shootfilm camera

Wrong. the law has changed (in about the year 2000) to make digital images admissable in court.

Mrs Westy dug something up for me when I said the same thing a year or two ago...

This is the offending camera....

camera.jpg

The 40 sign just after the markings is the start of the speed limit. Apparently there was a bit in the paper on this camera, a lot of people have complained.

I maybe wouldnt worry toooo much....I Got flashed in similar circumstances , tucked away under a bridge just out side Bradford on M62 6 weeks ago in the only car i own registered to me in my own name  :arse:  :arse:  

anyway havnt heard anything from it,  and ive had this a couple of times before... I think some just flash to frighten the life out of you !!

and it always slows me down for a few days so it still works  :bangshead:

Mrs Westy dug something up for me when I said the same thing a year or two ago...

Yup, here it is...could have changed since 2000 though I suppose

Well if the camera really was before the change in speed limit, presumably plod know about it now as it's been in the paper and you probably won't get a ticket through - and if you do, they will probably just cancel it when you go back to them on it.

Westyzx12, a plod once told me that if it flashes once, there's no film in it; it has to flash twice for it to have taken the photo.  Again, that's a few years old though so don't know how true that is now!

I've been told that it flashes twice so that they can use the photo's to measure the distance travelled by the white lines on the road.  It's better for the police to give you money back from fines rather than miss out on our money and loose vital revenue.  You should be ok though if that was the first 40mph speed limit sign.

The roadworks may have been planned a few metres before the camera.  There's nothing sneakier than a camera right on a change of speed limit!

Perhaps the sign used to be further up and some little scamp got caught and so snuck along in the middle of the night and moved it to its current location.

I've been past that camera a few times and thought it was a bit dodgy. I can also say that the signs have not been moved, it is intentially laid out like that.

Very dubious...

I think they could argue (if they can be botherd after you challenge them) that you could'nt have dropped your speed to 40mph from 60mph in the distance between the graduation marks on the road (essentially the cameras field of fire) and the 40mph signs.

I think that there is ment to be a statuary distance between the camera and the speed limit it's ment to trigger at or between the sinage and the camera.

I've done a search on this but I can't find the info ISTR it was on the Five O forums.

That camera location looks well dodgy and if it is set at 40mph in what is effectivly a 60mph zone you should'nt worry too much.

The way it's set up looks bl**** dangerous to me and would encourage people to brake sharply into the 40mph zone to avoid getting flashed.

Looks like a deliberate set up to make money IMO.

BTW did you put the signs back in their origional positions after you took the photo  :devil:

Chaz.