4 point harness (3" straps)

avsum

So that I can fit them tonight, instead of waiting for tomorrow to phone Mark, can anyone tell me where to use all the washers that come with the Westfield 4 point harness with 3" straps? The instructions are next to useless...I have:

2 x Eyebolt

2 x 25mmspacer (fitted under eyebolt)

2 x 30mm setscrew

2 x shoulder spacer

2 x lock washer

2 x plain washer

2 x wavy washer (never seen one of these before)

Also the old SVA wildcard, anything I should know now?

I have now spoken to Mark, so for completeness and to help others who find this thread thru searching, here's his answer:

1) The top mounts - use only the eyebolts and the 25mm spacers - no washers.

2) The waist mounts - bolt goes through hole in harness bracket, then use the shoulder spacer, then use the wavy washer and bolt into chassis mounts. You must ensure there is freedom of movement in the harness mount. Yes, you don't use the lock washers or plain washers. You can if you want use the plainher between the harness bracket and the shoulder spacer, but you must ensure it doesn't interfere with movement of the harness.

But do make sure that the threaded section of the bolts goes all the way through the threaded bosses; you shouldn't be able to see any internal threads once the bolts/eyebolts are done up tight. I believe people have had that marked as a failure in the past?

...You must ensure there is freedom of movement in the harness mount...

Mine has WF harnesses. Mine don't move, they are held rigid. Passed SVA no probs last month. ???

I would imagine its an oversight by the inspector rather than anything else. I'd think if they are rigidly mounted they are more liable to tear under extreme conditions (a crash). If the mounts can swing then the pressure on the webbing where it goes through the mount will be evenly spread across its width, but if the mounts are rigid and the force isnt directly perpendicular to the angle the mounts sit at, all the force could go through one edge of the webbing so causing it to tear.