• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• wacomuk

• perksy

• Mark Stanton

• ChrisG

wacomuk, please don't take this the wrong way but I think you'd be wise to do a lot more research into seven type kit cars before you make a purchase. As many have said, get along to local meets etc, not only Westfield ones, but also Locost meets etc, you will pick up lots of useful information and have a better understanding of all the different types of car available. Also have a look at some more sites such as Locostbuilders which also have lots of good info.

Although Peter's "worth b******* all" comment is probably valid for that car relative to the intitial cost, it isnt really necessarily the same for all of em. Buying any car like this new you're always going to lose out at resale time, especially as you're paying someone to build it for you. In the second hand market each marque seems to have its natural second hand level with Caterhams at the top obviously, then Westies and then good Locost derived cars (which lets face it are pretty much a Westie chassis with generic bodywork on) followed by the Robin Hoods / LocUsts. You can pick up a £5k Locost and sell it the next year for the same money just as easiliy as you can with an £8k Westie or a £12k Caterham, its just about seeing where the second hand values are and buying in that price range.

Im not sure if you've realised but a "Locost" isnt actually a manufacturer like Westfield etc, its a name for 7 style cars based on the book written by Ron Champion. Basically its almost like an "open source" kit car in that nobody really owns the rights to its name or design, therefore most of the cheaper 7 type cars from the smaller manufacturers are Locosts or derivatives of the Locost (Stuart Taylor, MK, GTS Tuning, MAC1, Tiger Avon etc etc). Don't mix them up with Locusts or Robin Hoods though, the Locost is much more like a Caterham/Westie in construction than a RH / Locust. Also to a certain degree don't think because the Locost is cheaper that its necessarily slower or less fun to drive, a well sorted Locost is just as quick as a well sorted Westie, the area where you'll see most difference in build quality compared to a Westie is the GRP bodywork etc which isnt usually as well made. The chassis is very similar and all the running gear is usually the same (from donor Fords etc) so its mainly about cosmetics and as others have said, the availability of all off-the-shelf parts with a Westie which isnt really the case with a Locost (although some such as MK are catching up in that department).

If this £9k car is indeed a Locost based car as suspected, I would avoid it and spend your money on either a second hand Westie for similar money, or a Locost for say £4-5k and have just as much fun without the sting in the tail when you need to sell it  :t-up:

This is top advice from Chris.

Almost 4 years ago I was in the same position as you, looking at all the different kits and their various pros and cons. I was on a much tighter budget than you which ruled out quite a few options, then I started looking at the classifieds. It didn't take long to work out that this widened my choice dramatically, and meant that I could drive it straight away without spending months in the garage. On top of all that I could sell mine today for the same as I paid 4 years ago.  :t-up:  :t-up:  :t-up:  :t-up:

Buy in haste...............and repent at your leisure  :(  :(

Take your time, you will be glad you did.

David

he has a tiger built up ans ready for the sva test, its the same spec as before, he has offerd it to me for £8500 it will be on a H plate. what are they like ??

Not worth £8500 - you could get a very decent second hand Westfield for that  ;)  ;)

H plate is irrelevant to some degree  ;)

you all keep saying you could get a westy for that money. if so show me a westy for sale with the spec i want, i cant find any  :(

Here

Here

Here, although it's a bit more money. He'll probably take an offer though...

A cheap one here...

There'll be more at www.findit.co.uk

Just don't expect to find one on your doorstep...

Having trouble searching, are we? :p:p:p:D:D:D

I would possible be willing to sell my narrow bodied SEi with XE (approx 230bhp) for £8500 colour scheme not for the shy or retiring. If he could find a bit more then the Megabird may be up for grabs.

:D  :p  :D  :p  :D  :p

send pics and spec to davidsmobile@blueyonder.co.uk

im hopefully looking at a 1.8speedsport tonight. he says it 170bhp but the westfield site says 155bhp which is wright ?. is there anyone  in the manchester area who could come with me ? i need some advice !!!

Standard spec will be about 155, but it's not too hard to get more than that (probably new cams I'd guess).

Andy

and don't forget the VX powered car offered up by The Revver-end Everall which was well below what you've been offered for non Westfields  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D