wasted time , not happy

never fear

the pinto in the uxbridge spec should be good for 160-170bhp if the exhaust systems is good enough. also in that state of tune it will be very torque and very nice to drive on the public roads. although it may seem a little pricey, i would expect you'll need to spend more to get similar bhp out of a similar spec'd twin cam westfield.

the pinto is a luvely easily to maintain lump and cheap to repair, if mainly street car i would have no hesitation

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• never fear

• perksy

• adhawkins

• leighc

i would expect you'll need to spend more to get similar bhp out of a similar spec'd twin cam westfield.

On the contrary. A bog standard Zetec or Vx on 45's will have the Pinto equalled (in the case of the Zetec) and whipped (for the Vx) for power. Both 16valvers will make better torque, be more reliable, and can use unleaded gas without concern, which the Pintio may not be converted for. Plus, both 16valvers can be tuned to make power that is *impossible* to get from a Pinto.

7.5K puts you in Vx/Zetec territory. Another grand will see you owning a *very* nice 16valve Westfield that will knock a pinto in to a cocked hat...

although i've seen 215bhp n/a pintos i agree they cant get the bhp a vx/zetec can.

but not sure whether i'd agree you can get a good spec zetec/vx for £7.5k, you look at other threads on the go at the mo. if you can find one there will be a couple happy chappies on here i'm sure.

strange comment about value when theres a lot of people upset about how much their westfield appears to be worth.i'd of thought you'd be wanting to push your cars prices up

but not sure whether i'd agree you can get a good spec zetec/vx for £7.5k, you look at other threads on the go at the mo. if you can find one there will be a couple happy chappies on here i'm sure.

I sold my 1997 2 litre Zetec engined car for 8k back in November. That was a good spec car, with nothing wrong with it. I had entertained accepting less than this if I had to (I had the new car waiting to be delivered, so I needed the space).

Andy

i would expect you'll need to spend more to get similar bhp out of a similar spec'd twin cam westfield.

On the contrary. A bog standard Zetec or Vx on 45's will have the Pinto equalled (in the case of the Zetec) and whipped (for the Vx) for power. Both 16valvers will make better torque, be more reliable, and can use unleaded gas without concern, which the Pintio may not be converted for. Plus, both 16valvers can be tuned to make power that is *impossible* to get from a Pinto.

7.5K puts you in Vx/Zetec territory. Another grand will see you owning a *very* nice 16valve Westfield that will knock a pinto in to a cocked hat...

I don't claim to have anything like the knowledge you have but I've seen a torque curve for a 170 bhp Zetec superimposed on a 160 bhp pinto and the pinto wins comfortably on torque right through the rev range. Obviously this depends on how the power has been increased.

peterg's comments notwithstanding reagrding like for like analysis, capacity wise, it also depends on the way the engines breathe. Basic physics dictates that the Zetec with a larger valve area, will almost certainly flow more mixture than a 2 valve Pinto, almost regardless of the valve sizes in the Pinto. The increase in volumetric efficiency means that unless it's badly set up, the Zetec is gonna win with little effort compared to a Pinto.

And I agree that 7.5K is cheap for a Vx or a Zetec car, but they do come up. I don't like that fact that they're so cheap, but there's not much I can do about that...

If you were in the market for a Pinto engined Westy, I could be persuaded to part with mine and you'd get a load of change from 7.5k for major upgrades!! :p

thanks, but brg aint my colour. shame it aint blue yellow or silver. going to view yellow one in autotrader this week as well as silver one now. guy has e-mailed me loads of pics and it looks ok. just a few things that i need to do such as indicators and screen as im not a fan of the alloy look one so will change for black. seems a good price aswell. what you guys think?

From your other posts talking about 0-60 times, I would'nt go for an 8 valve IMO no offense to 8 valve owners.

Enter Mr Navin :D  :p  :p

Sorry been away for a couple of days.

Ready to defend the old 8 valve honnor now though.

Once again you can get big power and small 0-60 times out of the x-flow.

Yes its expensive but IT CAN BE DONE.  :D  :D  :D  :D

I don't think that any of the modern 16v units sound any where near as nice as a good x-flow.

The lesser tunned units still make for a realy enjoyable and easy to work on car and they will be cheaper.

Just an opinion.

i have a load of pics of a 17-xflow that i've arrange to view near bicester on saturday afternoon. would someone mind running there beady eyes over them and see what they think for the cash please.

Errr Just realised your not a WSCC Member and you need to be to use Andys Free service....

If you want you can send some details and a couple of pic's to me or supply the weblink and i'll be happy to help  :t-up: