Zetec's:

geofff

Hi All,

Are all dipstick and dipstick tubes the same lengths on the 1800cc Zetec model?

Just wondering if I can use the dipstick of my '92 Orion 1800 on the new one I bought from Playskool.

I'm using a Scholar wet sump and after adding 4ltrs of oil it comes over the diptick hi level by three mm - the Haynes manual says 3.75 - 4.25 ltr capacity for oil.

Do I re-mark old dipstick or buy the 'exact'  ???  dipstick for the new engine?

Ta

Geoff

:)

I think the safest thing to do is ring Scholar and ask them what the capacity of their sump is. Fill the sump with the recommended quantity of oil and mark a 'maximum' mark on the dipstick you have. You don't want to be running the engine with too much oil in the sump as it will obviously cause problems (almost as bad as running with not enough oil in there).

Richard.

I think there's something about this in the Archives  ???  and Scholar said you didn't have to alter the Dipstick, not sure though  :oops:

Could do with knowing 'cos i've got a Scholar sump on order aswell.....

When i got my Scholar sump i asked the same question.

Their answer was no alterations are required and to use the dipstick as normal.

1600 miles later and all is well.

Cheers

Simon

Zetec's:, Are they all the same?

Yup, heavy and short on power...

Taxiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii  :p:p:p

Hi,

"Yup, heavy and short on power..." nope - that's the beauty of one make racing - you all have the same weight and power! Well allowing for 'deep pocket' differences as per normal  :)

I'd previously drained all the oil from the engine (to do the ARP bolts) so the filter will be empty. I think this may account for some of the 'overfill' as it were. I'll turn the engine over without a spark and see what level it comes to - well I will when the loom goes in this weekend.

Scholar did say to fill as normal.

Actually the dipstick tube is a bit of a loose fit in the engine. Any ideas what I can use to seal it a bit better?  ???  I don't want it to dribble oil all over the place.

Ta

Geoff

:D

Blatmans getting his engines mixed up.   It's the VX that's heavy and short on power, whereas the Zetec can trace it's lineage down to the Duratec, which everyone knows, Blatman lusts after in secret :p:p:p:p:p

Taxi!!!! Just don't make it a VX  

:p

Zetec's:, Are they all the same?

Yup, heavy and short on power...

Taxiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii  :p:p:p

:D Said the man with a Vx and only 185ish bhp  :p  :D

Yeah, with the Vx having Cosworth lineage, I just don't know what I'm talking about :p

Mornin Matt. And b******* off :p

Geoff. Just how loose is the dipstick? If it's just loose (not sloppy) try some Loctite bearing retainer in there...

Hi Blatman,

There is tab at the top of the tube which I can bolt to the head (using one of the engine hoist hook bolt holes). This should make the tube quite stable - but I was a little worried about oil blowing out of the (sloppy to me) hole in the engine at high revs.

Used the loctite site "search for a product" and cannot find 'Loctite bearing retainer'.

Ta

Geoff

Yeah, with the Vx having Cosworth lineage,

Badge snob you should have brought a Cateringvan. Next you will be telling me you have a Rolex as well.  :p

Geoff.

IIRC, there is an 'O' ring in there that the dipstick tube pushes into. Then it is secured with the little bolt through the tab onto the head.

Another little tip is to either lock wire or secure the dipstick itself with a spring. Mine has popped out before and it makes a bit of a mess in the engine bay.

Keith.

Thanks Keith,

I'll double check for the O ring. I was going to use the bolt through tab to the head - just have to bend it to a slightly different angle.

I will lock wire the dipstick. I don't like the idea of cleaning the engine bay out. I've done that on a pinto transit head gasket job once - left the rocker cover off whilst cranking the engine over to check that oil was getting upto the cam  :durr:  I was young and inexperienced.

Ta

Geoff