• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• gee_fin

• Nick M

• pete g

• SADDLEWORTH

The digidash looks like something from toy & hobby ???

Maybe but IMO the Michron is a poorly designed display ressembilng scaletrix timers  :p

Michron yes, but not the MXL :cool:

• 2 weeks later...

Resurrection.  :D

Anyway, Gee,

What is the Pista like for trackdayers. I mean, I cant throw a beacon out. Is this going to prevent it from doing track mapping and lap timing (to look at when I get home).

I know you did a review of the DL1. Would I be better of with one of those, being as its GPS based. (I already have an ST8130).

Cheers,

Al.

Send me a pm with your email address and I will send over some data from 2004 to play around with.  You can download the software to view at the race technologies site.

What is the Pista like for trackdayers. I mean, I cant throw a beacon out. Is this going to prevent it from doing track mapping and lap timing (to look at when I get home).

The only thing the beacon is for is lap timing so yes, you can do track mapping to peruse later at home.

Not sure when the GPS unit for the MXL is due to make an appearance (should be soon, but I'm not holding my breath to be honest) but that should make it an impressive bit of kit in the track mapping/data logging department.

Might be wise to wait a while if you're in no hurry ?

It is possible to get useful data without a beacon. Basically, go out for your session, download the log and then when you get home you manually split the data into laps.

This is done by looking for known point, I did this with my Donington data by looking for the hairpin on the lateral G line (very easy to spot), you should generally be within a few inches each time on your apex there. So, split the laps up at that point.

Once done, the track map will follow and then beacon shift the start/finish line to the appropriate place and your data is now more than useful.

Whole process took about ten minutes...

So whats your verdict on whether a DL1 is a better toy for a trackday goer? (especially one with an already respectable (although outdated and overpriced) dash! )

Haven't used a Race Technology one for quite a while (two years) and they were developing them at a fierce rate even then so I can't comment on recent upgrades.

The unit itself (then) was good though. Very small, very easy to setup and run. Downsides were that there was no display (it was all post processing) and that the analysis software wasn't really developed. However, as said, this was two years ago, I fully suspect it's up there with the best of them now.

The maps were very good, however, I don't  believe GPS can get down to the accuracy you really need for .1000s comparisons, it still has to rely on a beacon for that. I may be corrected if this is not the case, but I think you can only get down to an accuracy of 1m/3ft on GPS alone.

I would have no worries about buying a Race Technology item again if I needed one, good company, well made product and did exactly what it said it would :)

Oh, sorry I thought I'd read a review of yours recently on the DL1 ! Perhaps was older...

The 5hz GPS fix is a key point of the DL1. Also like the video overlay stuff they can do (with extra boxes).

Ta for the info though!

Cheers,

Al

DL1 uses an overlap of GPS data and G force reading to produce the map.

The DL1 is great for circuits where you do a full lap, for hill climbs it can be a bit tricky.  I certainly need to spend some time with the newer version of the software to get the best out of it.

If you are looking for lap times then yes you just add a start point (normally on longest straight) and it then chops the data up into laps with times.  From there you can graph each lap on top of each other.

As the data is stored on compact flash you just plug the flash card into a USB reader on a laptop and theres your data to look at.  So data analysis during lunch at trackdays is doable, I done it bewteen runs and had no problems.

Upright, data is on t'other laptop, will send it through this evening.

Also, I was in the same boat with having a decent stack system and hence went for the DL1.  I am considering going to a single unit that does all but will probably wait, I have the best of both worlds at the mo.  Must admit, I havent looked at the stack system during a run since I started competing!  Apart from when a little oil pressure light came on once just before.... :oops: