DIGITAL DASH

SADDLEWORTH

I very much doubt any of the US dealers will want to be involved with a bulk order from UK customers regardless of whether they're being sent to a US address first.

I know they're all been told they cannot sell to non-US customers and the person I got mine from last year is only prepared to sell them to US customers with US credit / debit cards.

Basically Aim f**ked up on the pricing and the European dealers got annoyed that US dealers were selling more MXLs than they were.  It's not the dealers fault, but the stand to lose their relationship with Aim if they get caught.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• gee_fin

• Nick M

• pete g

• SADDLEWORTH

Which is the best one to fit anyway (to pass SVA as well)

and do you need all of their sensors or are they all off the shelf items?

I very much doubt any of the US dealers will want to be involved with a bulk order from UK customers regardless of whether they're being sent to a US address first.

Not sure how they'd find out if he's shipping to a US address.

as long as it's marked as a gift should be able to avoid the duty.

There is a limit to the value of a gift though, so be *very* careful. Any attempt to avoid duty by mis-declaring goods is an offence which can have serious consequences.

Also, if you do choose to mis-declare the value of an item, if the item goes missing or gets damaged in transit (and lots of stuff does, trust me...), the maximum you can claim (IF you pay the extra for insurance) is limited to the amount of the declared value.

As a 20+ year veteran of the courier logistics game, I STRONGLY reccommend that you are honest and up front when declaring items for shipping. You DO NOT want HM Customs and Excise at your door with a warrant for your arrest seizure of goods...

I had a very long chat with Dataspares (the UK importers of Aim) at the hotel on Saturday night (quite handy that the whole of Aim/Mychron were in the same hotel).

Basically, the hole in the US has been sealed, mainly through price fixing from Italy. Finding a US seller to sell it to you is going to be tough. A shame, a few lucky ones got an absolutely stonking deal there (thankyou Mr Milton :D). You could still force a hole by finding a dealer, sending the unit to someone in the states and getting it sent or going over and bringing it back yourself but it's got a lot harder.

The UK/European selling side of Aim are livid and relations with the US side of things is frosty to say the least. Not a problem, as Aim are Italian based anyways but it gives an idea of how many sales they lost!

The short of it was, prices have come down slightly Europe-wise and been increased hugely stateside. Aim are going to be flexible in the UK though - we're negotiating a UK Kit-Car price from them as we hope to start selling/supporting them soon. I don't believe it will be as cheap as they are in the States due to the weak dollar, but it should only be £50 or so pounds more with the benefit and peace of mind of UK support.

It's an excellent system and to me worth £2000 let alone the current UK price of less than half that.  I'm going to put together a smallish bulk buy for the UK to see what sort of figures we're going to be talking (ordering from the UK), if anyone has an interest drop me a mail/pm.

Not sure how they'd find out if he's shipping to a US address.

Depends who's paying for it.  If it's paid for with a US credit card and shipped to a US address then it's less obvious.  But how many people in Europe have either a US credit card or someone in the US prepared to pay for it using theirs ?

And if the customer wants support for it later on the serial number of the unit will identify where it was sold.  It would mean you'd probably to send it back to the dealer in the US to get any problems sorted out.

Basically, all the US dealers I've spoken to have been giving a strong warning not to do it.  You may still find one who can help, but I wouldn't bank on it.

Which is the best one to fit anyway (to pass SVA as well)

and do you need all of their sensors or are they all off the shelf items?

Don't know about any issues for SVA - if it's in the exempt area behind the steering wheel you're laughing I would have thought.

As for sensors, it's easier to get the ones from Aim but if you're handy with a multimeter and used to electronics then it's not hard to figure out the right resistors to use for third party sensors.

...benefit and peace of mind of UK support.

I would say support is a HUGE problem for anyone buying into these systems (and I don't mean support of the kind "you have to buy our expensive sensors/harnesses to replace the ones you already have"). There's no knowledge base to tap into and as far as I know, nothing/zip/zilch comes from AIM in terms of help and I've tried all possible ways I can think of short of banging at their door. Trial and error is both expensive and time consuming (BTDT) and proper support would be very beneficial. That's just my 2c and I hope you get a response to this issue which I consider critical. :)

As for sensors, it's easier to get the ones from Aim but if you're handy with a multimeter and used to electronics then it's not hard to figure out the right resistors to use for third party sensors.

I don't agree. For instance take the stock coolant temp sensor on the VX engine. It would take some very sophisticated calibration system to figure out its temp/resistive curve which is more than what I can do (a normal shade-tree mechanic). And my continuing quest of dampening the fuel level circuit (AIM is as always unhelpful and don't want to understand what I want to do).

lol

:D  :D  :D  :D

just got mine in the post this morning :p

not sure aftermarket sensors are really an issue as aim has preprogramed a whole range of diff manufactors sensors in the management software for the box, so its just a case of clicking on the right box

Blondie

not sure aftermarket sensors are really an issue as aim has preprogramed a whole range of diff manufactors sensors in the management software for the box, so its just a case of clicking on the right box

Yes and no - the MXL uses a base reference voltage of 4.5 volts so the sensors need to have the right resistance to send back the signal to the MXL.

The Aim sensors all have the right resistance and are plug and play, but a bunch of the other ones in the table require you to add values to the little set up 'graph' that is accessible via the software.

Just had it confirmed, US models (serial #s) will *not* be supported in the UK from the main dealer, they'll have to sent back to the US. Units are supported/serviced from the dealer you buy them from. So it appears you might save ~£150 going that route but you lose the nice and easy option of homebased servicing...