1A Tyres (again!!)  --  with apologies

davidgh

We've done two sprints so far.

Many friendly and helpful wise old birds have come around to look at the car, and all said more or less the same thing:

"nice car, the only thing you need (apart from a better driver) is a decent set of tyres"

Car is currently on 14x6 Minators shod with 195/60 Goodyear Eagle Venturas (nicely predictable, but seemingly rather limited grip).

Eager to learn, I go to the boardroom and hit search; ending up with hundreds of threads. I learn that the received wisdom is 13" wheels for the track, 15" for the road, that these two sizes offer a choice of far sexier list 1A tyres than humble 14", and that reduction in unsprung weight (the 13" lobby) is worth spending several tenners per kilo.

Additionally, I learn that Proxes or SO3PP (buffed, of course to 4mm) are generally accepted as the canine gonads, but only available in 15" up; and that others prefer A539s or RE720s (available in 13").

So, I ponder the possibility of saving up to clothe the Minators in AO48Rs for track days and buying myself some nice 13" rims to take list 1A boots for sprinting.

I am then confused by sneaking a look at John Palmer's car :love: just before he cruises (or do I mean 'bruises'?) his way around two laps of Curborough in 62 sec on Sunday, to find it is shod with list 1A 15" Falkens  --  conflicting with most of the good advice on this site.

I have also failed thus far to twig what serious 1A tyres are available for 13" wheels, that are not available in 14".

I am now suffering from data overload.

My choices appear to be:

1a - learn to drive the car as is (head talking)

1b - get my Eagles buffed and then learn to drive (ditto)

or submit to the siren song of upgrade-itis (heart talking!;) )

--  in which case:

2a - 13" with RE720/A539, or

2b - 15" with Proxes/SO3PP/Falken/(Kumho?)

This is quite a big decision to screw up (£££  :(  :arse: )

Advice sought please (apart from "the sensible thing is to learn to drive"  --  I've got the love of my life to tell me that :oops: ) from those who have been here before.

Will all the other 1A rubber be almost as skittish as the Venturas? Will a novice sprinter notice the difference?

If not: 13s (Re720?, anything better?) or 15s (Proxes?)??? Again, will the novice notice the benefit from unsprung weight reduction?

Apologies for length of post

Help from all experienced sprinters seriously appreciated.

David

John Palmer has recently started using Falkens for this season  ;)  ;)  ;)  expect them to become popular  :D  :D  ;)  ;)

15" rims are used by drivers quite simply because it offers a wide range of tyres at reasonable prices - such as those noted by yourself - Toyo, Yokes etc  :D  :D  :D

It is often acknowledged that 13" rims offer a better gearing and "feel"  ;)  ;)  Tyre choice is a little more limited and expensive - hence not so popular  :D  ;)

Nowt wrong with continuing with your 14" rims if you wish and getting some better 1A rubber  :D  ;) anything of what you've read about is gonna be better than your Goodyear Eagles  ;)  :devil:  ;)  :devil:  :D  ;) and having em scrubbed a little will do no harm  :D  ;)

Never gonna be a definitive answer to your quandry  :D  :D  ;)  :D

P.S. How old are your Eagles  ???  ??? if more than about 2 or 3 years max - then bin em  :D  :devil:  :D  :devil:  :D

Additionally, I learn that Proxes or SO3PP (buffed, of course to 4mm) are generally accepted as the canine gonads, but only available in 15" up; and that others prefer A539s or RE720s (available in 13").

Toyo does make the Proxes TS-1 in a 14" size (195/55R14)  Why not start with those on your current wheels and see what you think?

-John

Mark

The Eagles are possibly nine months old, but first turned in May  --  essentially one track day  :) and two sprints  :D  :D  --  so they ought to be ok for something. However  --  so many people have made the same comment about decent tyres that, though they may not hit the bin, the back of the garage is looming   :devil: .

John

Thanks for that  --  a piece of info I had missed. I'll research.

David

David

If you could track down where to find some of JP's experience and talent from as well - I'll join in on a group purchase  :D  :D  :D  :devil:  :D

Let the Eagles nest in yer garage  ;)  ;)