Thoughts on Rallying, Westfield suitability

gee_fin

Diff bracing is curently high on my lists of things I *need* to get done during the off season.

As for the unbraced engine bay, why are we dicounting/ignoring the engine? Is this not a partially stressed member? Not trying to start an argument (for a change), I really can't see why this isn't considered ???

Hi Graeme,

I'm not entirely clear. Is the additional bracing in the diff area just the two diagonals you have which go up to the rear bulkhead area of the chassis, near the rollbar mount points?

moomin

Er, you should know better. In a live axle, the diff isn't mounted to the chassis, is it.... :bangshead:

Er, you should know better. In a live axle, the diff isn't mounted to the chassis, is it.... :bangshead:

Blats,

I know that my technical knowledge is very limited and you know I exaggerate profoundly  :D  :D

Then again, I didn't know that the diff is mounted to the chassis in an independant  :blush:  :p  so I  had no reference point.

Oh...just had a thought...that's another reason why live axles are better than independants [sits back and waits] :devil:  :D

I think it worth pointing out that before this thread gets out of control...........

There have been some owners that have reported breaking parts of their chassis from various reasons such as sprinting with large horse power/ large slicks (my own problem), hard trackdays, damage or impact during trackdays, driving etc or other unknown history issues.

That said there are very many of hundreds of cars out there that have never had a problem. I think in most cases the problem can be traced to a specific cause.

To give you an idea, my chassis a 91 SEI was built by me, initially painted rather than powder coated. Had around 9 years of hard road use with trackdays, outside use. The chassis was pretty rusted, and has no additional bracing of the later chassis. I then stripped the chassis, shot blasted and rebuilt the car with 200 bhp VX power. After two years sprinting including use with a 6 speed dog box (massive shock loadings), on the next strip and shot blast of the chassis I found hairline cracking of the chassis members. Easily rectified.

If I had brought a non gavanised road car, done the 100K miles the WF has done with no proper maintenance at a dealer, I'd expect more problems that chassis cracks after the same abuses. I think these thinks have to be looked at in perspective which is seldom done.

PS: IF you can make a spaceframe rally car that wont suffer from fatigue during rallying and remains competitve and light then I think you are doing well. I think the fact the GeeFin can take a WF and by welding in a little extra chassis bracing can compete a full rally says rather a lot for the actual strength of the chassis.

CAn these failures in both independant AND live axle setups?

No but the trailing arm brackets are a weak point and are prone to sheering off.  Especially if you run sticky tyres.

Great write-up Graeme,

If anyone wants a Megabird that is PROPERLY sorted for this type of motorsport (or anyother for that matter), has had little use and the best of maintainence, let me know.

The car is very high spec, located in Barbados (easily shipped to the UK), and well known by Gee Fin, George Martin, etc. SMOKED Gee Fin's VX and also his R1 powered carbon car every time they were head to head - sorry 'bout that Geefers :-)

Looking for 14,000 Sterling approx (inc shipping to UK).

Martin.

ps. could do a deal including the sale of the car, accomodation and tech support for an event in Barbados if buyer is interested.

lol Local knowledge, local knowledge :p

Nah, seriously quick sorted car, built to withstand anything that can be thrown at it  :t-up:

Bart, dont worry, these little cars are really strong and will soak up loads a punishment!

Get yourself in one and have some fun, they are amazing!

Let us know where you are and we will sort out a Blast for you!

Rob

Hi Rob

Well I got myself in a speedsport yesterday on an open day of the new Belgian Westfield importer. Interior was quite cramped (especially steering wheel to low and too far away). Too bad there were no Mega's there to compare if seating position would be easier with a race seat.

At the moment I have my heart set on a comprehensive Megablade kit IF I can create some more room for the driver and IF I can fit a post 1995 fuel injected Fireblade engine (Belgian law doesn't accept carbed versions anymore).

Anyone in here from Belgium building or driving a westfield Mega by any chance ?

Bart