FW400

Petrol.Head

Er, I thought FW400 stood for FeatherWeight, 400bhp per tonne. This is the car that prompted C******m to produce the R500....

I'll see if I can find the original CCC article that pitched the FW400 head to head with a Honda Touring Car at Brands Hatch. Rob Gravett was piloting the FW.....

It's no a car I'd rush to buy. Too many compromises, IMHO....

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Blatman

• Matt Seabrook

• Mark Purves

• Al Yupright

how many times have you seen 'claimed' powerful cars blown away by lesser mortals in well driven, well setup cars....

depends on the length of straight and how few the corners are

The Westfield FW400 (Feather Weight, 400kg) took the 'performance through light weight' ethos to the very extreme. A carbon fibre monocoque, GRP bodywork and aluminium suspension and braking components kept weight down to a scarcely believable 880lbs. With a tuned Rover 1.8L VVC engine pushing out 190bhp, the FW400 had a phenomenal power to weight ratio of almost 500bhp/ton. Acceleration was unsurprisingly dramatic, with 60mph coming up in 3.8sec and 100mph in a mere 8.7sec. Of course light weight also means powerful braking as there is less mass for the discs to slow down. This made the FW400 an exceptional track day car, if a little frantic for the road

From ear :D

It does not look as nice a westfield, I like the carbon idea.

What you want is one that looks like the normal car but in carbon.

Hang on a sec there one of those for sale some where.

:D  :D

£25,000.00 (Reserve not met)
?????????

How much does he want for this.

Its bid upto 25K!! far canal.

He's mad if he doesnt take that....

Like I said earlier, the factory had a beautiful orange one for 16K for about 18months before it sold.

I spose, when all is said and done, and if you ignore the resale issue, which would you rather have, an FW400 or an R500?

(cos R500s sell for 30K+)

I really think that is ridiculous money for what the cars consist of!

"0-100 mph under 6.0 secs and is capable of 160 mph"

Crikey, not only is the reserve at least £10k more than you'd think it should be it's also able to redefine the laws of physics and alter all recorded test figures for the car. Must be worth the money  :t-up:

The Cat****M in the 0-100-0 record was the new R500evo. Esentially the R500 but now with 250bhp out of the poor little 1.8K series. Set up for one driver and for this record attempt.

I think the 250BHP is a 1.9 or may even a 2.0L, all the same the orignal block is a 1.4, mmm how thin are the wall's??

No wonder they go bag alot, top marks to Minister Power for geting 250 bhp from a 1.4 though.

I too thought the R500 EVO was a 2.0l K series. It does have stronger liners and other strengthening bits AIUI, so it's not as unreliable as you might imagine. I wouldn't have one though.

I do feel a bit of sympathy for C******m, 'cos they're probably tied to Rover for engine supply, and weren't expecting the Duratec to have the potential it does. C'est la vie, as we say in Islington...

I too thought the R500 EVO was a 2.0l K series. It does have stronger liners and other strengthening bits AIUI, so it's not as unreliable as you might imagine. I wouldn't have one though.

I do feel a bit of sympathy for C******m, 'cos they're probably tied to Rover for engine supply, and weren't expecting the Duratec to have the potential it does. C'est la vie, as we say in Islington...

Does make me chuckle though they must be kicking themselves now. A relatively cheap 230bhp from a Duratec with only a very small weight penalty.  :bangshead:  :bangshead:

A relatively cheap 230bhp from a Duratec

Not if they're equally tied to Minister it won't be... :0

True but who’s fault is that :D

I know  :D

He now owns a Castle in Scotland now, I kid you not.

I still think it is quite funny how MG ended up sponsoring a Caterham race cars

Do you think Caterham would sponsor the SS.

:sheep:

Important Information

Please review our Terms of Use, Guidelines and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.