1.6 cvh Gasket

CrashBangWallop

Good afternoon, people,

I'll try and explain.

The thin bit that goes between my exhaust manifold and the engine block.

I thought I could just walk into Halfrauds and ask, "Could I have a manifold gasket for a 1.6 cvh engine?  Probably from a XR3i.  Please."  :D

No such luck.  They haven't a clue.  Is there any part number or specific type of gasket I could drill into them?  :durr:

Thanks,

Neil

You will probably have to go to ford. Shouldn't be too expensive.  ???

Halfords are rubbish you may as well ask the cat.  :durr:

And you will have to go to the ford garage in cambridge next to the VW one.

Rob

Speak to Mike Tanski at Ferriday  ;)  ;)  ;)  :D

A good motor factors should be able to supply these.  Try your local yellow pages under motor factors and go from there.  Will prove to be a lot cheaper than ford.

Halfords do do them, but you need to buy a full head kit which will have all the cylinder head gaskets and seals (CHG, inlet and outlet manifold, cam shaft oil seals etc.....) and this will be about £50!!!!

My advice, try a local factors.

RobAndCollin - I know the Ford place on Milton Rd.  Could try them

Cheers Mark - I'll try Mike

Mat - I think so, too :)

Lastly,  As I'm a complete spanner...  What's a gasket?  It just looks like a thin piece of metal to me. :durr:

Thanks, guys.

Neil

Cheers S8ight.  

Who/what company should I aim those references at...  Ford parts dept? Or is that a standard thing for anyone dealing in Ford parts.

Yep that thin bit of metal is a gasket.

Basically when you bolt two metal pieces together they will not form a tight seal because they will not mate perfectly.  A gasket (can be rubber, card, metal etc), basically forms and fills any indentations between the two surfaces forming a seal.

Torques setting is crucial.  You need enough pressure to make it seal, but not too much otherwise you will damage the gasket.

If you simply as ford or a motor factor for a exhaust manifold gasket from a 1.6 xr3i (CVH) thay will give you what you need.  TBH factors will prefer this than giving them a part number, as they may have a different part number depending on manufacturer.

Hope that is as clear as mud.  Like S8ight said, should only be a few quid.

Mat

Torques setting is crucial.

And those settings would be...?

They were all a bit loose.  Hence the chuff-chuff noise probably.  I kept tightening one and had to stop.  I was afraid I was going to shear the bolt.

I presume the bolts are just M8?  Almost everything else in the engine-bay seems to be :)

Torque setting will be in the haynes manual.  If you haven`t got one just post the question on here, someone will be able to check for you.

Not sure what size the 'bolts' will be, although they will not be normal bolts.  The inlet and out let manifolds use studs (like bolts but threaded full length and have no head on them.  These will screw into the engine block one end and then nust bolt on the other holding the manifold in place.  

My advice, buy a haynes manual for the engine (only about a tenner from Halfords) and that will explain all.  Dont worry if you are a novice, the haynes guide is really clear and written at a really basic level and you will find it a doddle.  The more work you do, the more confidence you get and soon you`ll be able to stip an engine down.  Trust me it is that simple!!

Let us know ho wyou get one,

Mat

Re: Haynes Manual.

IMO Don't buy the "Fords CVH Engine" manual as it doesn't have any of the info needed for maintenance / repair and isn't really a manual , more of a magazine article about things to do with CVH engines.

Buy the manual for the car but there seem to be lots of types of CVH so make sure which one you need by careful checking first. I used the library to check which manual then bought it.

David.

Apologies,

I meant buy the haynes manual for the car.

Didn`t realise they did one just for the engine!!!!!

Did you know you can get a haynes manual for a baby now!!!!!

Matt?  What was I tightening up, then?  I stuck a 13mm socket on my torque-wrench and started tightening each bolt (about 8 or 9 of them), watching the gap in the split-washer get smaller. :)

My baby's now ten years old.  She's getting on a bit.  Too many miles I think :p

I'll find a manual on Saturday, if possible.  I know the year of the engine.

In the mean time....  does anyone know the torque settings? :D  (Sorry, I'm not being lazy.  I'll have the bits tonight.  I just want to get on with it!;)

Thanks again, people,

Neil

Neil, you know better than to use the H word, try DAP on Newmarket Road, they should be more helpful (and probably cheaper too).

moomin