Duratec SVA and weigh-in

Glen H

I know the duratec is a light'ish engine(maybe 15Kg less than VX)

Andy you want to check your scales a VX weighing under 120kgs is a light VX

From Flukes web site

All steel Vx engine, ultra-light 5.5" clutch and flywheel, touring crank, Arrow rods, Cosworth pistons, Jenvey throttle bodies, dry sump pan, dry sump pump, hi-lift cams. No alternator or engine mounts. 112.8 Arnie Webb

I think it posted on Racelines web site the Duratec weights in at 95kg's and a K is 93kg's

Paul you may be correct. :down:

I still think 510Kg is extreemley light for a Road car with Screen etc.... How has Glen lost 140Kg over his Zetec car, I carn't get my head round it. :durr:

My maths - weight saving

Engine -15Kg

Diff -6Kg

Wheels -20Kg (maybe 35Kg inc no spare)

Alloy uprights, sump etc etc -15Kg ???

No Carpet -5Kg ???

Total -76Kg

640-76=564Kg

Wheres the other 54Kg gone ???

Is there something I'm missing. :bangshead:  :bangshead:  :bangshead:

• Replies 384
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• conibear

• Nick M

• Glen H

• adhawkins

I want to know where the weight has gone as well, so I can remove it from my MegaBusa.

Not saying it's not true, but would like to know how.

Bazzer

Andy,

I must admit I couldn't quite believe the weight at first as I was expexting 550-560kg, however when you cross check / calculate the axle weights with and without driver, the difference is 80kg, this is exactly my weight, i.e. 12 st 6. I also can't believe that the SVA centre would have uncalibrated scales.

The saving over my previous 650 kg Zetec are :

wheels/tyres 4gk each  = 16kg

No spare wheel            = 18kg

Engine (15kg lighter than a ZETEC, more for a VX) = 15kg

freelander axle reportedly = 17kg (Stated by Westfield) this is inclusive of any saving on the drive shafts.

These alone add up to 66kg

Below is a list of other differences between the 2 cars, I am not sure of the weight difference these have made, if Any in some cases, however if you add the weights I have guessed/indicated this adds to a further saving of 53kg. If correct this gives a saving of 119kg, somewhere there must be more as the actual difference was 140 kg, and yes before anyone asks I still have copy's of the SVA paperwork/results from my Zetec engined car showing the weights.

Oops, just checked the results from last time, it appears that i have lost 2kg between builds, however the 140gk saving is without driver.

*Although I have got standard bodywork, I believe it is now made lighter than in the past (not as many layers). 6kg?

*No Carpet/mats =8kg?

*Raceline Steel flywheel.5kg?

*Ap clutch (smaller than stnd ford on my Zetec).2kg?

*Direct to head t/bobbies instead of twin45 webers with seperate inlet manifold.4kg?

*Nitron shocks all round instaed of steel Spax.6kg total?

*Westfield padded race seats.2.5kg each = 5kg?

*Golf alloy rear calipers instead of cast Sierra.1gk each-2kg?

*AP front calipers, instead of cast Cortina.1gk each=2kg?

*aluminium front uprights, instead of cast Cortina.0.5kg each=1kg

*Lightweight battery.8kg?

*Type 9 box with alloy bellhousing(is this lighter than an MT75?)

*Propshaft, type 9 - Freelander, does not have the larger MT75 flange and is shorter.3kg?

*Nylon bushes (clutching at straws now).0.5kg in total

*They now doe not use one of the mouldings previously used for the readiator housing in the ducted nose.0.5kg?

Glen ???  :t-up:  :D

I know the duratec is a light'ish engine(maybe 15Kg less than VX)

Andy you want to check your scales a VX weighing under 120kgs is a light VX

From Flukes web site

All steel Vx engine, ultra-light 5.5" clutch and flywheel, touring crank, Arrow rods, Cosworth pistons, Jenvey throttle bodies, dry sump pan, dry sump pump, hi-lift cams. No alternator or engine mounts. 112.8 Arnie Webb

I think it posted on Racelines web site the Duratec weights in at 95kg's and a K is 93kg's

You wanna check your maths before scoffing at the 15kg guess, 'cos by the figures you quote, he's within 2kg's. Hardly a deal breaker......

Is that 17Kg saving on the diff include a quaiffe ATB ? if so that would be 17Kgs I could trim off my car.

Really must weigh my Busa again.

It was 480Kgs wet when I built it, measured on Blackbird Motorsports scales.

Since then I have removed RAC and replaced with a T45 cage. Not sure what the net weight change would be there.

Switched to ACB10's

Removed Reverse box

Changed to Nitrons

Removed passenger seat.

Carbon Nose

Carbon dash with Digidash.

Carbon seat from Mog

Oh and like you Nylon bushes :-)

Already have Alloy 4 pots and Dymag wheels etc. All the light weight Westfield bits accept carbon cycle wings.

I have a bet with Aly Upright, if I get it down to 450Kgs he buys the beers :-)

Cheers

Bazzer

[quoteCrumbs, you had a heavy old sierra diff there - did that weight include any of the lobro joints??

I weighed my Sierra diff with Quaife ATB (read: heavy! ) innards, at the time with a 3.62 ratio, at 25 kg..   ]

The sierra diff I weighed, had the initial flange included, i.e. the diff had the part with the 6 number bolt holes included on each side as if it was removed from a sierra with the drive shaft purley unbolted , is this what you refer to ???

[quoteIs that 17Kg saving on the diff include a quaiffe ATB ? if so that would be 17Kgs I could trim off my car.

]

Not sure what the Quaiffe ATB would weigh.

Freelander diff 18.2kg,Freelander drive shafts - L/H 6.6kg, R/H 6.8kg (longer in length),this gives an axle TOTAL of 31.6kg, anyone got the equivelant weigths for the Sierra full axle

The sierra diff I weighed, had the initial flange included, i.e. the diff had the part with the 6 number bolt holes included on each side as if it was removed from a sierra with the drive shaft purley unbolted , is this what you refer to ???

Interesting - sounds like you mean it had the output flanges, but not the CV/Lobro joints. That's the same as the one I weighed with the ATB innards.

Seems there's a large discrepancy there somewhere, as the ATB bits weigh a *lot* and my diff was 25 point something kg with them fitted... ???

freelander axle reportedly = 17kg (Stated by Westfield) this is inclusive of any saving on the drive shafts.

Is this a 17Kg saving or 17Kg weight of Freelander Diff?

A saving of 17Kg from the diff would be amazing, wounder how much power it would take ???

*No Carpet/mats =8kg?

thats a heavy set of carpets ??? i have a compleat set for an mt75 car wraped in cardbored waiting to go back to wf and they weigh 2 3/4 kg  is 8kg right??

adam

I weigh lots of cars & find it difficult to understand the 510kg duratec.  I have a duratec factory car booked in for set up late next month & will post the weight when it's in.

If the duratec car is anything near 510 kgs, then everyone needs to fit this engine with a freelander diff!!!!!!

To clarify, typical megablade,  no carpet, with aeroscreen, minilights RAC bar 470kgs

Typical factory v8 all the trimmings 720kgs

typical "old" english diff chassis with x-flow, carpets, swept wings  585kgs

Robinson racing Pinto, stripped out circa 540kgs

Nanas blue beast holds my record for a 2.0l roadgoing car, with it's former keeper (4 speed dog box in ali case, roll hoop not cage, 15" mag wheels) this car passed the MOT then onto my scales at 505kgs with 10l fuel & all its liquids.

Nob Ravins x-flow, stripped roadgoing car, lightweight everything (& i mean everything...except driver!;) 500kgs

I don't dispute the 510kgs, but HOW? It has to be engine & diff, cos everything else is the same.

But i have to say, well done Glen, I can't get cars through SVA first time at Chadderton, & a very nice build too. Now if it's that light, that would be a great sprint car....speed series next year then.

Paul

It's nice to see so many of you questioning another Duratec powered car, god I had my fair share of opinions on weight. It is reported by many of the developers that a dry 2L Duratec (unmodified) ways ALL IN 97kg, but excludes flywheel and clutch. The ALL IN weight difference between a Duratec and a VX/ZETEC is more like 25-30kgs. A modified Duratec like mine is lighter, but not much and not worth mentioning. I think maybe someone ought to ask WFD the weight difference between their new ZK body work and older SEIW type, cos I bet it's a surprise. Also do WFD make only one SEIW chassis now (the lighter race type). I would not be surprised to hear the answer to that as a YES. When I got butchered on here recently over my Duratec SEIW weighing in on corner weights at 500kgs, I thought it best to check with the company who weighed it, they confirmed 500kgs but did say it could 4kgs out either way. WFD yellow Duratec car at stoneliegh weighs 590kg WFD say, I looked at that car and calculated the weight saving compared to mine. Now by simple subtractions, I easily can get to a 500kg figure, we can't all be talking out of our arses.

Personally, I think many of you don't want to believe these figures but that doesn't matter, if your happy then i'm happy  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D

Glen, my T9 weighed about 2kg lighter than my MT75 I had.

Mind you, I don't think there is much difference between the two diff's ???  ???

Ian

The ALL IN weight difference between a Duratec and a VX/ZETEC is more like 25-30kgs.

mine weighed in at 528 at sva this is with carpets and std flywheel so if you say that a vx/zetec is 25-30kgs more then this puts you where you said at 500kg

I think maybe someone ought to ask WFD the weight difference between their new ZK body work and older SEIW type

what is the difference between the two becouse i have the zk body??

adam

Hi Glen,

it was nice to see the car at the show over the weekend  :love:  :love:

Couple of small things you`ve missed out on the way in compared to your old car.

Spare wheel carrier

lightweight dashboard

no inner ali panels

Interesting debate about the weight, as far as I see it its all comparative on scales.

SVA say it weighs 510kgs

previous car same test centre 650kg

Quite possible recallibration in between but surley that applies to most of the weights quoted here for westies.

Only real test would be back to back weighing.

Anybody got any scales

???  :D  :D

what is the difference between the two becouse i have the zk body??

adam

Lighter Adam, probably less grp layers, but as you know your bonnet is flimsy, isn't it.

Ian