Zetec starts, runs under 1k then stops

gregh

I guess Westie is getting me back for not using her over winter!! Battery is flat as a pancake so spent a very knackering hour with my brother push starting!

After a few goes she will start and run under 1k, occasionally dipping down to almost zero revs, then recovering close to 1k, up,down, up down for around 10-30 secs then dieing. As soon as I hit the accelerator the engine dies.

The tank is only around 1/4 full and has been that way since she last run. do you think filling with fresh fuel would help?

any ideas? I'm hopeless at engines so some basic tips to check would be appreciated!

regards,

Greg

if the fuel is suspect drain it all out. check filter also, water sits below fuel so drain any fuel into a clear container if you can, let it stand for a few  minutes and look for water at the bottom.

try to run the fuel pump/empty it out just incase

sorry just re-read your first post. is it starting just from a bump ? (presume so)

if so is there enough life in the battery for the ecu etc....?

might be worth giving the battery a charge just incase

it is starting from a bump, there is enough life for the horn to work, and the digital mileometer works......

should be ok. go for fuel unless you want to leave it on charge over night or can you try it with a jump start ?

battery is so close to chassis that jump start is very hard to do... gotta move battery and last time I tried I couldn't get the jump leads on even after moving it, and ain't got a charger.......

This sounds like fuel but its also sounds like it could be an ECU problem assuming that you have an ECU? I would borrow a good charger and charge it up overnight but also check the acid's physical level too or you may cook the battery if the levels are low. Doing this first *may* save the hassle of fuel draining!

This sounds like fuel but its also sounds like it could be an ECU problem assuming that you have an ECU? I would borrow a good charger and charge it up overnight but also check the acid's physical level too or you may cook the battery if the levels are low. Doing this first *may* save the hassle of fuel draining!

How do I check the acid level? Do you just mean the fluid level?

regards,

Greg