Driving / Race shoes

Richard (OldStager)

We have been here a few times, but darn'd if I can find the threads again.

My cheapskate deck shoes are falling to pieces and I now need some new shoes for the car, what are you using , how much are they and would you buy the same again?.

Sparco karting shoes. Had two types. Not at home to check models but would buy again.

• Thanks 1

I usually wear Reeboks like these when driving the Westfield. I take a size 10 and my feet are about average width.

https://www.reebok.co.uk/ex-o-fit-hi/3478.html?cm_mmc=ReebokSEM_GPS-_-GS-OPT-UK-medium stock-Categories-Branded-_-Medium Stock - Branded-_-PRODUCT_GROUP&cm_mmca1=UK&cm_mmca2=&ds_agid=58700007838625445&gclid=CjwKCAjwwo-WBhAMEiwAV4dybU9YLNXb9DxJjAm0F3twaS27r2qgI2PDV9_KZZIEuf2tivSuq6fUcxoCiBEQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

The Westfield has the MT75 tunnel so footwell space is as narrow as it gets, but there's enough room for me to manoeuvre in there.

Rest of the time I am a recent convert to Skechers. Soooooo comfy. But a back to back test this weekend shows that whilst I can drive my new (to me) tin top in just about anything the Skechers are too wide for the Westfield. My Reeboks are my favourite shoe to drive in. I save the race boots for when I am on a track...

• Thanks 1

I'm a cheapskate too, so I wear Lonsdale Camden - they are narrow, leather and have the desired rounded extended heel, and if you squint and blur your vision, they look just like Puma Speedcats, which I wanted but they don't make anymore.

https://www.sportsdirect.com/lonsdale-camden-mens-trainers-110054

EDIT - it appears the Puma Speedcat is back by popular demand...

https://uk.puma.com/uk/en/pd/speedcat-og-%2B-sparco-driving-shoes/307171.html?dwvar_307171_color=05

• Thanks 1

I have been using Skechers Diameter Vassel trainers for 12 years. You can get them for £40-50 if you shop around and they are narrow enough that I can get my 10.5 paddles onto the pedals without issues. They even cope pretty well with the heat from the underslung exhausts. I am on my third pair as I wear them generally, not just for driving, so they get a bit of hammer.

• Thanks 1

Sparco for me, I've got the SP-F6 that aren't bonkers money 👍

Oh, and I don't mind looking like a wet wipe down the pub 😂

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, LoneWolf said:

Got a couple of pairs of Sparco Fashion shoes. They look beautiful IMHO. Most of them are of racing inspiration, so they are pretty narrow and tightly fitting.

image.png.235b97b54922f79e207b2382ab9224b0.png

image.png.2e437659fb30e7c1c813745e6210d1cf.png

https://sparcofashion.co.uk/

Thank you, I like the boring brown one, as it's not to racy looking,

4 hours ago, The artist formerly known as Rush Motorsport said:

Piloti are good if you don't want to look like an absolute wet wipe down the pub. 

https://www.pilotiuk.co.uk/collections/mens-driving-shoes?page=2

Ah yes thanks, that was a name from the thread I can't find, I will check those out too 👍

7 hours ago, BigSkyBrad said:

I'm a cheapskate too, so I wear Lonsdale Camden - they are narrow, leather and have the desired rounded extended heel, and if you squint and blur your vision, they look just like Puma Speedcats, which I wanted but they don't make anymore.

https://www.sportsdirect.com/lonsdale-camden-mens-trainers-110054

EDIT - it appears the Puma Speedcat is back by popular demand...

https://uk.puma.com/uk/en/pd/speedcat-og-%2B-sparco-driving-shoes/307171.html?dwvar_307171_color=05

I like the Lonsdale ones, not too racy looking.

6 hours ago, Labrat said:

I have been using Skechers Diameter Vassel trainers for 12 years. You can get them for £40-50 if you shop around and they are narrow enough that I can get my 10.5 paddles onto the pedals without issues. They even cope pretty well with the heat from the underslung exhausts. I am on my third pair as I wear them generally, not just for driving, so they get a bit of hammer.

Not heard of this brand, will check them out as well.

8 hours ago, Blatman said:

I usually wear Reeboks like these when driving the Westfield. I take a size 10 and my feet are about average width.

https://www.reebok.co.uk/ex-o-fit-hi/3478.html?cm_mmc=ReebokSEM_GPS-_-GS-OPT-UK-medium stock-Categories-Branded-_-Medium Stock - Branded-_-PRODUCT_GROUP&cm_mmca1=UK&cm_mmca2=&ds_agid=58700007838625445&gclid=CjwKCAjwwo-WBhAMEiwAV4dybU9YLNXb9DxJjAm0F3twaS27r2qgI2PDV9_KZZIEuf2tivSuq6fUcxoCiBEQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

The Westfield has the MT75 tunnel so footwell space is as narrow as it gets, but there's enough room for me to manoeuvre in there.

Rest of the time I am a recent convert to Skechers. Soooooo comfy. But a back to back test this weekend shows that whilst I can drive my new (to me) tin top in just about anything the Skechers are too wide for the Westfield. My Reeboks are my favourite shoe to drive in. I save the race boots for when I am on a track...

Thanks, again never owned any, so its a night of research...

20 hours ago, BobMet said:

Sparco karting shoes. Had two types. Not at home to check models but would buy again.

They would have been my first choice, as I wore these in the racing days, great shoe 👍

Thanks all, got a load of good suggestions there, just going to get some food then I can have a look online. 👍

I bought the Lonsdale ones from sportsdirect to replace my aged Karrimor's and they are very light, had to go whole size bigger to fit properly but seem a nice shoe, only time will tell🤔 but nice and cheap. Try before you buy!

• Thanks 1

I meant to ask that, because I am sure on the thread I can't find the Piloti ones should be bought a size smaller ( or was it bigger - AHH) OK thanks for the info, just about to start my search.

I never got to look for shoes, spent all evening on the phone, it's not comfy...

Actually, fair point about trying out the sizing. In my recent experience of a morning at Sports Direct trying on what they had in stock, Reeboks are pretty good. I have been a size 10 for decades and a 10 is what I would usually buy. But in these days of cheap manufacturing and, dare I say it, questionable quality control at the point of manufacture...

Skechers, to me at least, I am between a 9.5 and a 10 depending on shoe type. I think I tried a set of Lonsdale Camdens on a while back and seem to recall I was a 10.5 in those and the same for a pair of Adidas I have for court sports.

My Sparco race boots are a 10 and still fit, but they are not comfortable to walk in even though walking round a paddock isn't exactly long distance, I'd change out of them.

• Thanks 1

Thanks, I think then because shoes are an important thing size wise, I won't buy online. I do have to travel to the Wirral in a few weeks for a family gathering, Demon Tweeks isn't that far from there in Wrexham. That's where I got my Sparco ones from decades ago. Trouble is I bet they won't have all that's been suggested on here?. All I really want is a bland shoe that's slim enough for my narrow footwell, a shoe you could wear into a shop and not look like a boy racer .

Unless you can get online and if it doesn't fit send it back, trouble with that is it takes time whilst stuff is in the post and these deck shoes are hanging as it is.