Programming question.

hohab

I just have a question I am getting into python programming and my laptop is so slow it can’t even handle VM’s without crashing,

What laptops are you guys using to program that are good for running multiple applications at once? Including a VM?

Welcome!  I'm not sure what made you ask a Python question on a car forum?  Isn't StackOverflow more suitable for that?

Most of the time I find adding RAM solves a lot of these issues. That said, how old is the laptop, and is it a Pro version of whatever O/S you are running?

What are you using for VM's? VirtualBox or MSHyperV or something else?

Have you considered dual-booting the machine and running a Linux distro on the existing hardware? Might free up some resources.

FWIW I would want at least 8Gb of RAM and even then it'll be slow. 16Gb and above and I reckon you'll be OK. 

Or see if you can use cloud based VMs taking the load off the laptop totally. I believe some of the providers allow some free usage for personal type use. 

when I did run local VMs it was with a laptop with 16Gb ram, a large fast disk and I think an i7 processor, I then used a usb3 external drive to store some of the virtual machine images.

I'm always scared of forgetting to tick or untick something in the cloud and finding a big bill at the end of the month so I steer clear. I did have a go at spinning up a Ubuntu box in Amazon but the warnings about billing meant I cancelled and deleted everything. Too risky... 

I've always used Texas Instruments kit for my programming work. The Speak & Spell range is just divine

• Haha 1

@BlatmanYou can set up alerts and the like to warn you, same as mobile phone spend alerts. Just take a bit of care and you'll be fine. Don't let anyone else have access to your account is another key rule for surprise avoidance.

@hohab cheap way to play with Python is a Raspbery Pi, either use it with a TV/Monitor and bluetooth mouse/keyboard or use VNC and work indirectly from your laptop as a remote login.

2 hours ago, Euan Hoosearmy said:

You can set up alerts and the like to warn you, same as mobile phone spend alerts. Just take a bit of care and you'll be fine. Don't let anyone else have access to your account is another key rule for surprise avoidance.

Yes I am aware. I was having a dabble but decided against. I like the cloud for some stuff but for hosting VM's as an individual who would likely use quite a lot of compute power, I prefer the money goes in to an eBay server and a load of RAM. No chance of any surprise costs then ;) 

• 2 weeks later...

Hey @hohab, saw this free kindle edition of Python Programming For Beginners and remembered that you were just starting out, not sure if it's any good as I don't personally program in Python but probably worth a read, especially if you have a Kindle. 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07GXZMYWC?smid=A1G3UP32AZJ14F&tag=pepperugc03-21&ascsubtag=2371466465

I have this book and the author released each chapter on Youtube for free. Now I just need some time to actually follow along...

• Like 1