2.0 duratec

David hall

What's everyone's opinion on a 2.0 duratec with throttle bodies. Will I be disappointed with the performance 

Very difficult question to answer. All depends on what you are used to/expecting. 

A 120bhp engine in a well set up, light car will be a hoot to drive in the right circumstance. 

Duratec assuming 2.0 on TB’s should be good for 190-200bhp so should be plenty fun enough. In my opinion and experience my skill level is the limiting factor rather than the car and I’m running a zetec circa 150bhp. 

• Like 1

I have no idea if you’ll be disappointed. 

With TBs and standard cams they are quick enough but a set of cams really brings them alive especially if you use it on track.

ETA, 2.1 Duratec for sale soon…! 

• Like 1

As Jack said depends on what your used to and what you are expecting from a westfield. I have a 2.0 duratec with TBs in mine and it puts a big grin on my face every time I drive it. It makes a fantastic noise. It's a quick car, but when it reaches 4000 rpm,  there's a step change in power delivery and it's bonkers. 

However the most enjoyment on the road is a good twisty B road rather than a fast A road IMHO where the bhp isn't really important

• Like 2

Hi David,

Like Neptune I also have a Duratec and again I am more than happy with the performance. Sometimes I don't realise how quick till i look at the speedo!!

But again a good drive out away from the main roads really puts a smile on your face. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, The artist formerly known as Rush Motorsport said:

I have no idea if you’ll be disappointed. 

With TBs and standard cams they are quick enough but a set of cams really brings them alive especially if you use it on track.

ETA, 2.1 Duratec for sale soon…! 

I've sent you a message but not sure my messages a getting to people. Have you got detail and pics of your car please

• Like 1

stick in a zetec , omex throttle bodies  use a dunnel zrv camshaft  kit , ttv lightweight flywheel to get a nice super reliable 205bhp..  ..  with slightly better torque than a 420r caterham duratec .. i have this and you certainly dont need any more at all for the road.. on the track not allot stays with you .. you need to look at torque graphs , thats the key to a nice power delivery ..  all this BHP is a bit irrelevant ..  

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, andyj007 said:

stick in a zetec , omex throttle bodies  use a dunnel zrv camshaft  kit , ttv lightweight flywheel to get a nice super reliable 205bhp..  ..  with slightly better torque than a 420r caterham duratec .. i have this and you certainly dont need any more at all for the road.. on the track not allot stays with you .. you need to look at torque graphs , thats the key to a nice power delivery ..  all this BHP is a bit irrelevant ..  

Have you done any track days with anyone fast though?

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, The artist formerly known as Rush Motorsport said:

Have you done any track days with anyone fast though?

yes plenty ,  define fast?  your fast and my fast may be way different ..   , its a   difficult question to answer that  we can all say I blew that or this away  ..  as thats comes down to driver skiIl and car set up tyres eyc .. providing you have a good engine,   but you can tell how good a engine will drive on the road and track by looking at the dyno printout , then its just down to driver skill and car set up  , what I can tell you if you look at a 420r duratec dyno sheet and a zetec  with my mods listed above, you will have great  engine for much less £ if you want to go more you can pocket the pistons and port the head, up the injectors you will get 240 plus bhp for another 3k cash ..   from the  zetec .  a Duratec will go higher BHP obviously for more £  all depends on budget really  ..  and what engine you prefer.

820143077_Screenshot2022-06-26at09_43_34.png

13 hours ago, David hall said:

What's everyone's opinion on a 2.0 duratec with throttle bodies. Will I be disappointed with the performance 

If you are looking at buying a car then a duratec would be a great way to go..

Having had a tuned Zetec previously and now a mildly tuned Duratec both are great but ultimately I think duratec is the better engine..

However depends what you are doing with it and also what you are ultimately after to rock your boat!

I do that @The artist formerly known as Rush Motorsport has a really nice lively duratec...  

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Mole said:

I thought the duratec was about 20kg lighter than a Zetec...

Yes but don’t let the facts get in the way Martin! 

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, The artist formerly known as Rush Motorsport said:

Yes but don’t let the facts get in the way Martin! 

you are correct duratec is a tad  lighter.    edited my post for clarity ..  at the end of the day they are both quick enough. cheers

Duratec is a more modern, lighter, plentiful (availability wise) engine now so would be a logical choice over a Zetec if building new. That is from a Zetec owner BTW.

Original point was lots of powerful cars being passed on track by well setup less powerful cars with a good driver - I’m not in that category! 😅

Whatever the OP goes for I’m sure it will be good fun! 

Duratec needs a spare bottom end to hand for when those big ends go “bang” 😁

• Haha 1