1990 SEi rear wheel arch guards - options?

fatblokestu

Not exactly tech talk but don’t know where else it would go….

I’d like to protect the rear wheel arches on my SEi from stone chips and wanted to ask what options there are out there.

It used to have metal plates riveted on, but since its rebuild the holes have been filled and over painted so would perhaps prefer a stick on option.

D0F80ABA-4C1D-4E61-888B-3FC6B3172200.thumb.jpeg.2cbd80d329447eb7882a2c1c62605324.jpeg

3664AA51-5EB5-4ED3-B2FB-8BCD1B928342.jpeg.c0d3fb9cb792f79da58f283611ea5f73.jpeg

Where do you get the ones like this? Sorry for the rubbish pic off the inter web.

9B35FB71-F569-4108-BB68-6A4143CF6DAB.jpeg.95ff854fd1d4793c81ab7b7cc841d312.jpeg

Thanks in advance.

Stu

I know these are riveted on, but no reason why the same thing can't be stuck on instead. Home made fibreglass flat sheet, then cover with vinyl ( stones bounce off instead of marking surface), shape and attach. Although I now have swept wings so these are now almost redundant.

PIC_0058.thumb.JPG.9a52bd6b35f676f49213da59edf88c71.JPG

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, fatblokestu said:

Where do you get the ones like this?

Pretty sure that nobody makes them for your version of bodywork - happy to be corrected though!

However, you could use PPF (paint protection film) or if you prefer a colour contrast, then some vinyl wrap. 

• Thanks 1

I used PPF on ours after it was painted. Did it in several sections to avoid compound curves. Prior to that, it had nothing for stone chip protection so it was pretty peppered! I did buy some rivet-on guards for it many (many) years back but never fitted them. Got them from Westfield but they were nothing more than simple ali sheet cut to shape.

• Thanks 1

There's no one who makes the shaped covers for kit bodywork anymore.   Carbon NV we're going to make them about 3 years ago but haven't appeared yet.  Suggest you cut some flat sheet to cover the arches best you can and PPF the arch lips.

• Thanks 1

There is one option left, but it depends how confident you are messing with Fibreglass and creating moulds, you could lay up some glass on your existing wings, using the many release agents out there, then when cured remove it to made the end result. I used to do this sort of thing decades ago making glass panels for my own comp car and some for a chap with a euro nascar. You can then create the thumbnail picture design in your first post.

• Like 1

Forgot to add, what size are your wings from root to outer lip, if they are the same as mine I can make a mould of mine , but this won't be till winter.

• Like 1

For 30 yrs I had ordinary vinyl fitted - came from Great Mills DIY store I think.. to my rear arches… the vinyl came off when the body was repainted but there wasn’t any damage underneath… it was quite rough on the lower part but nothing had gone through it. 
I was going to use Clear PPF when it goes back on the road. I will also cover the bottom 4” below the body line of the arch as this did take a bit of a beating over the years

6BB21F5F-BCA2-4891-A321-7B600E10EAA9.png

• Like 2