XI unique parts list

Morris

As there have been some discussion relating to individual aspects of the XI componentry, I thought I'd draft a list of parts that I reckon are unique to the (stock build) XI and that cannot (maybe) be bought off the shelf.

Hopefully this will help to narrow down potential problem components and gravitate our focus towards finding the existing/ alternative suppliers, some of which will be shared by our fellow '7' owners - ref the excellent supplier list already compiled.

This is only a first pass so feel free to amend the spreadsheet and re-upload, or ask me to make changes.

XI unique parts.xlsx

Cheers.

Morris.

• Thanks 1

Once the XI owners are happy with the list just let an admin or mod know and we can happily move it to the faq section. We'll pin this for the moment though, to help keep it visible.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Dave Eastwood (Gadgetman) - Club Chairman pinned this topic

Are the XI pedals unique, or a version of the 7's pedals? The throttle ferrule thingy, I'm sure it's a standard solderless nipple, if that's the part you mean?

The IVA mirrors are as below:

20220623_180948.thumb.jpg.93ec58ce1343ea176aa163a351c97b7b.jpg

The dash and end panels would be quite straightforward to copy, I'd be willing to look at making them if there was enough interest. Equally, I'm not sure how many builders would need them, as anyone able to source a chassis and bodywork could also sort the panels out themselves?

Thinking of aluminium panels, don't forget all the chassis panelling! The pontoon sides and sections that sit under the bonnet would be the hardest to replicate.

As I suspect I'm one of the only people not using the supplied rear bulkhead, mine is available should anybody wish to duplicate it. Likewise the front and rear wheel splash guards and footwell side panel. I also intend to run without carpet, post-IVA, so my set could be available to use as a pattern?

Edited to add: what level of interest do folk think there might be for the various parts? I doubt many of the cars already out there, in build or not, would need any of the unique parts, barring accidents. Getting parts made as one-offs could be quite expensive compared to the runs of 6 that the factory tended to do.

• Like 1

I forgot to add in the clear headlamp covers and the grp windshield attachment cowling.

I've read of instances of the wraparound windshield cracking.

It should be easy to source a propshaft from Bailey Morris or similar.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, stephenh said:

It should be easy to source a propshaft from Bailey Morris or similar.

That's where mine came from, but any prop shaft place should be able to sort one for either of the usual gearboxes.

• Like 1

@Morris great work 👍 if we can get a few more of these guides written like yours and mine for the Mazda SDV it would be a great help to all the members in the future.

@DIY-Si I suspect that your right in saying that there will be a very limited market for parts, in most cases I suspect these will be to repair accident damage or restore cars in the future.

What we don’t know yet though is whether there are any cars mid-build at the factory or if there might be owners that have taken delivery of incomplete kits. If that’s the case then this is where we can all help them to source common parts or reverse engineer and manufacture those bits that are missing.

32 minutes ago, Mark (smokey mow) said:

What we don’t know yet though is whether there are any cars mid-build at the factory or if there might be owners that have taken delivery of incomplete kits. If that’s the case then this is where we can all help them to source common parts or reverse engineer and manufacture those bits that are missing.

I don't recall being given the option to collect only part of my XI, it was an all or nothing gig as there's no modules like there is/was for the other cars.

That's not to say that there aren't any that are awaiting collection/release from the administrator however.

1 hour ago, DIY-Si said:

I don't recall being given the option to collect only part of my XI, it was an all or nothing gig as there's no modules like there is/was for the other cars.

That's not to say that there aren't any that are awaiting collection/release from the administrator however.

It’s more a case of parts being found missing from the kit.

With the Chesil owners there looks to be cases that they have found after collection of their “full” kit that there are quite significant parts of it that weren’t there and either missing or supposedly on back order to be delivered later.

Ahh, I see!

From what other builders have said, that certainly used to be the case with the XI, but so much of my kit was deleted at the time of order (anything engine or rear suspension related) that I'm maybe not best placed to comment fully on how much things had improved. 

Thankfully mine was complete when I collected it with nothing missing.

Problems can arise though (as in my case) when parts are faulty, such as misaligned front wishbone geometry and poor welding in the lower coolant pipe resulting in a leak.

The factory sent me out replacement components.

My experience was that some smaller pieces were missing , dash switches i had 3 of one type none of some others , 3 identical banjo bolts for brake and clutch , clutch master cylinder one is different thread but all resolved next day. This sort of missing parts was common to all 3 constructors that i have bought off .

From my experience of another major kit car company ceasing trading was that the parts that caused most problems for owners post getting cars built  were the smaller and wearing parts , bushes in the front and rear suspension, spherical joints in panhard rod and anti roll bar , clutch and brake master cylinders are items that come to mind . The majority of the parts coming from the midget helps a lot with the X1 .

I've updated the spreadsheet and added a tab showing common modifications carried out by builders (longer travel suspension/ distributorless ignition etc.).

XI unique parts 25 June 2022.xlsx

Morris.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1