Removal of Competition Licences when disqualified from holding or obtaining a Road Traffic Act driving licence

Simon Waterfall Syman84

I have recived the following from Motorsport UK, presumable this will not affect any club members but just wanted to get it shared anyway so that as a club we are aware of the current changes to rulings.

Removal of Competition Licences when disqualified from holding or obtaining a Road Traffic Act driving licence

The Board of Motorsport UK confirms that disqualification from holding or obtaining a driving licence under the Road Traffic Acts (‘RTA’) following conviction for offences under that legislation is incompatible with the holding of an ASN Competition Licence.

This incompatibility is a combination of the regulatory requirements of the sport in respect of the highest standards of conduct and behaviour, potentially bringing motorsport into disrepute and the alignment of the ASN with and support of the FIA programmes for action on road safety in a global context.

The Board confirms that the following applies to any person disqualified from holding or obtaining a RTA driving Licence following conviction under that legislation:

1.  The licences of all persons so disqualified under the RTA are hereby withdrawn pursuant to NCR Chapter H. Art. 3.1.2 and

2. The fact of RTA disqualification must be voluntarily immediately reported to the Licensing Department of the ASN and

3. Failure to self-report is a breach of the National Competition Rules (‘NCR’) under Chapter C Articles 1.1.2 (b) and 1.1.3 and 1.1.4 and will result in an automatic referral to the independent National Court by the Disciplinary Officer with interim suspension under Chapter A. Arts. 2.2.1.3 and 2.2.1.4 and the penalty may be to double the period of suspension and

4. The consequence of the RTA disqualification is that the right to be granted and or to hold a Competition Licence under the NCR shall be automatically suspended from the date of that disqualification and that suspension shall expire on the same date as the entitlement to hold an RTA Licence is restored.

Therefore all Competition Licence holders currently disqualified from holding a RTA Licence must immediately report this to the Licensing Department and surrender the physical licence. The ASN reserves the right to call for evidence of the date of expiry of any RTA disqualification.

Kind regards,
Motorsport UK

Hasn't it always been the case? I remember a few years ago one S Moss having some difficulties with this.

But it does seem overly bureaucratic and harsh for someone with a few speeding fines.

2 hours ago, Richard Houlgate said:

Hasn't it always been the case? I remember a few years ago one S Moss having some difficulties with this.

But it does seem overly bureaucratic and harsh for someone with a few speeding fines.

I'm not sure richard just sharing information I get sent 

I don't think it has always been that way. In fact wasn't that the whole point of the fuss over Stirling Moss? Namely that he lost his road driving licence but was still able to carry on racing, in those days still at the highest level.

I am pretty sure that you can still get a  motorsport license without having a road license though as 16 years can get them and they wont have passed their tests so this is presumably if you have had one and had it taken away which is the new remit

As Comp Sec I have not yet received this communication from Motorsport Uk

22 minutes ago, Terry Everall - WSCC Competition Secretary said:

As Comp Sec I have not yet received this communication from Motorsport Uk

I received it as an MSUK member yesterday said I assume it was sent to all the current members.

1 hour ago, Mark (smokey mow) said:

I received it as an MSUK member yesterday said I assume it was sent to all the current members.

yes thats where i got it Mark 

@Terry Everall - WSCC Competition Secretarycheck your junk 

I even got it as a retired, ex-, licence holder!

• Haha 1

It makes perfect sense to me, I'm very surprised it wasn't already the case tbh. 

1 hour ago, The artist formerly known as Rush Motorsport said:

It makes perfect sense to me, I'm very surprised it wasn't already the case tbh. 

UK Law often disappoints. If two people are caught ridding a bicycle whilst over the drink drive limit and one has a car licence and the other doesn't, would you be surprised to hear one of them will loose their car licence!?

• Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, Ian Kinder (Bagpuss) - Joint Peak District AO said:

UK Law often disappoints. If two people are caught ridding a bicycle whilst over the drink drive limit and one has a car licence and the other doesn't, would you be surprised to hear one of them will loose their car licence!?

Depends what they are ridding the bicycle of. 

• Haha 1