Ideal first car for 17 year old in 2022

Dommo

Anna got an Audi A1 1.6 diesel. £275 (me and my missus also named drivers )for a 6 month learners policy which is now about £2700 for her fully comp policy having passed after 3 month’s lessons (on good Friday)

Yaris,  cause it's so reliable and a Suzuki Swift cause the young guns like them and great fun to drive. 
I have a Disdain  for Corsas as well, unreliable except the first version in the 1990's. 

The only thing I would say about a Suzuki Swift, great fun car that it is, is that the Sport version’s suspension is so stiff that you could run over a coin and know if it was heads or tails.  Entertaining driver that gets fatiguing very quickly.

Another vote for the Suzuki Swift, both my wife and I have them. It's the second best selling car in NZ for a reason. Nippy and cheap, cheap parts, and they look good boy-racered. The drivetrains keep on running, my £900 work-hack has had a grumbly gearbox input shaft bearing for over a year now, but it keeps on taking me to work and back - I don't hear it with the radio on. I've owned well over a dozen Suzuki cars over the years, never been disappointed with any of them.

Here's a few of the rarer Suzuki's I've owned...

Suzuki Fronte Coupe, 360cc 2-stroke, triple carbed

micro1.thumb.jpg.bd2de3f0083853e85ed5d8b0b1c334ca.jpg

Suzuki Alto Works RS-R, 550cc turbo intercooled, full-time 4wd - 9500rpm redline, gauge goes to 12,000!

micro5.JPG.6381236ab5e0de89abf6e2d6a5e3c24e.JPG

Suzuki Mighty-Boy mini-truck, 550cc repowered with a 800cc Alto drivetrain

micro3.JPG.f98d71d040c61440ac89651273e6996d.JPG

• Like 2

On 18/06/2022 at 16:08, Quinten Uijldert - Webmaster said:

My son (now 22) started of with an R53 Mini Cooper S and just under £1700 for a years insurance (without blackbox).  The year after that dropped to £1050 and the year after that to £850. He bought the car for £2500 and sold it 3 years later for £2500.

He's now in a 987 Boxster S and at £900 for insurance.

I'm quite impressed the R53 Cooper S was insurable! Suspect the JCW might be a stretch too far, which is a shame as I've got one of those surplus to requirements already!

Thanks for the responses everyone - I hadn't considered the Swift and probably should have. Looks like they did a 1.2 version that's a relatively low insurance group and cheap to tax. Focus would be a good shout too if insurance is favourable. I'll add those to the list.

Now, I feel I'm about to spend a ridiculous amount of time researching small Suzukis... the Alto I knew about but the other two are new to me :d

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Dommo said:

I'm quite impressed the R53 Cooper S was insurable!

Run a few quotes before ruling it out.

I had a similar dilemma earlier this year. My daughter had her test in March and had been insured for a couple of hundred as a learner on my Mini Clubman SD through Adrian flux (2L, 61plate, 155k miles, had it years, it owes me nothing and great fun to drive).  She wanted/wants to buy her own car but is planning on going to uni in September where she'll not need a car whist away. Against all my petrolheadedness I've persuaded her not to buy and insured her on the Mini.

My existing policy and then the first few companies either wouldn't quote or were very expensive, we have gone with a Marmalade policy with tracker for £1200 for her on the car(myself and wife still have a separate policy).

The price didn't seen toooo unreasonable, she earns noclaims, drives something better than she'd have bought, I won't have an extra car sat on the drive whist she's away and I get to see how the comedy of how tracker judges my driving... its hilariously sensitive even without going into the 'fun' elements of driving 😀

Ian

I'm really very much against all the surveillance of new drivers. I do understand the reasons why, but it just doesn't sit right with me.

Anyhoo... If it was me I'd perhaps consider adding a dashcam to the vehicle. Data from the tracker can be interpreted and mis-interpreted. If there is footage to back up the data it might make a difficult situation easier.

And given my stated objection to surveillance I have just started to equip my cars with front and rear dashcams and I definitely feel better about it. Go figure...

• Like 1

It's not surveillance/monitoring that's the trouble per se, it's who is in charge and controls the data and what they decide to do with it.  And that can be a massive problem.

True. The great thing about dashcam footage is that it is widely used as evidence by the police and the courts so in effect it becomes an independent witness, which are often worth their weight in gold pressed latinum... 

• Haha 1

40 minutes ago, Blatman said:

gold pressed latinum

God that phrase takes me back! :d

I’d like to equip my tintop with a paint ball gun on the front to mark idiotic drivers, but I know that would go wrong fairly quickly and I’d turn my hand to painting idiotic pedestrians and jay walkers too.

29 minutes ago, Scott Young (Captain Colonial) - Club Secretary said:

I’d like to equip my tintop with a paint ball gun on the front to mark idiotic drivers,

Oh yes, ever since I saw the Spy-car episode of Mythbusters, I've wanted one of those paint ball guns!!