Hans and helmet

Liz03

Evening can anyone give me advice on a Hans device and helmet I'm looking for some as picking up the car next weekend been set up at silteck and emerald. 

Thanks chris and liz 

Of course you need to make sure the helmet you are buying has Hans posts, but beyond that it's all up to personal taste and budget. You can get a Bell for £300-£400, or you could splash out on a fancy full carbon job with a price tag 10 times the size. But no matter what helmet you buy, make sure it fits you. An ill fitting helmet can be dangerous, so if possible, go somewhere where you are able to try different sizes of helmet to find out what would be best for you.

When buying a hans, you should make sure to buy the correct angle, as there are a few for different seating arrangements. a 20 degree model is where you'd want to be.

Hawke Motorsport have 2 Helmet/Hans bundles available through their website.

https://www.hawkemotorsport.co.uk/Store/racewear/Helmet-hans-bundles

I always say you need to try a helmet on before you buy as every make is different, but getting somewhere to do this isn't always easy. 

My first helmet was a V2 (http://www.v2sport.com/) which value for money you can't beat them, they're competition ready with all the right numbers for the blue book.  They ware happy to send out the right size, but if it didn't fit they you could send it back. 

But like all these things, it all comes down to budget 

Hawke mortorsport will sort you out and replace if you order the mwrong size by mistake. Their Koden carbon helmets are a bargain

2 hours ago, John Loudon - Sponsorship Liaison said:

Hawke mortorsport will sort you out and replace if you order the mwrong size by mistake. Their Koden carbon helmets are a bargain

They are, I’ve got one. I’m not the only person to find it a little tight across the brows but hopefully it will bed in! 

14 minutes ago, New display name REQUIRED said:

They are, I’ve got one. I’m not the only person to find it a little tight across the brows but hopefully it will bed in! 

Funny but back in my biking days we always said that you would either have a “Shoei head“ or an “Arai head” due to the fit across the brows. I could never get a Shoei to fit for this very reason, so always bought Arai. 

I just assumed I’ve got a big head now I’m racing 😄

• 1 year later...

Prior to my first track day in August I'm looking to get sorted with a helmet and have come acorss this thread, as well as others. Has the sentiment changed from the above over the last year?

To be honest I'm finding the costs involved somewhat surprising, when I'm used to buying a high quality, top brand MTB helmet for a lot less than an entry level motorsport gear. Guess it's par for the course 🤷‍♂️

HANS devices: worth it? It seems so, particularly when thinking about limiting your flapping about in the event of a rollover.

Packages I've noted look to be over £500 inc. VAT for a helmet and HANS 'set' e.g.:

https://www.demon-tweeks.com/uk/bell-gt5-sport-helmet-stand21-club-series-fhr-device-package-2014408/

https://www.nickygrist.com/turn-one-full-face-racing-helmet-and-fhr-bundle?gclid=Cj0KCQjw7uSkBhDGARIsAMCZNJtfZav5BJGqd99cJpv4QkYUXKBvhz-0bMzP4ucGfP5ZILkpvZMKR1AaApD7EALw_wcB

Am I missing anything obvious or any brands that offer quality gear at a lower price point? Quality costs I'm aware though, particularly if you want something light so your head doesnt fall off immdiately with the Gs